Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

my stock is being crushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

my stock is being crushed

I took the new 300 RUM out and test fired it the other day. 5 shots to get zeroed and 25 fun shots. I have a wooden stock on it and the recoil is already putting impressions in the stock, particularly in the rear tang area. Even though the rifle is shooting 3/4 MOA with factory loads and I haven't worked up a load, I am sure I will be doing a bedding job to save the stock and have some questions on it, after I list the supplies I have.

I have more than enough acraglass gel left to do a 2 point bedding, maybe even enough for a full length job and an adjustable pillar set from brownells. I also have about half a pound in 6061 alluminum filings that I saved from work.

Now for the questions. Will the pillar bedding help prevent the recoil from shoving the rest of the bedding down into the wooden stock? Should I use the aluminum to strengthen the epoxy, and if so what do you recommend for ratio? I have read to use anything from 3 parts epoxy to one part aluminum or steel up to a one to one ratio.

The bedding job I just did on the .30-06 helped quite a bit (back down to 1/2 moa @ 100) and I appreciate all the information you guys gave me on it. I will keep shooting it until I'm not happy with it's performance then the action will turn into my first true project rifle.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: my stock is being crushed

Sasquatch,

Your problem is the wood.

When I have a customer bring in a wood stock for use on a heavy recoiling rifle I do recommend pillar bedding but this will not stop the set back in the stock.

Pillar bedding will allow constant consistant torquing of your action screws which will stay that way over time. Without the pillars the wood will compress and result in inconsistant torque values.

So yes pillar bed the rifle but not to solve the set back problem.

To solve that we need to replace the compressible wood with something stiffer like the bedding compound.

I generally mill out most of the wood behind the recoil lug and fill this area with the bedding compound. Basically making a block of epoxy with a shell of wood around it!

This will stop your compression. I would go 1 to 1 on the aluminum filings. Make sure these are clean dry filings, if there is any cutting oil on these you will ruin the strength of the bedding compound.

Also make sure your screws are floated in the pillars.

As your stock is now, if you continue to shoot it as is, I suspect you will have a cracked stock soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

thanks kirby. I will be milling out the stock and rebedding it this weekend.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

I tend to think his problem is the caliber. This beast of a gun kills at both ends. If they're not broken/MB then you certainly can't shoot paper w/emm. What does a man shoot that's alive that needs this much gun in the USA? God Bless you man.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

I got this much gun so I can deliver a big punch on anything I want to at the longer ranges. This gun will be used for antelope and deer at 500+ yards, elk and if I ever draw out moose and big horn at whatever distance I decide to limit myself to. I realise that the big magnums aren't for everyone, but I fell in love with this round when I shot my friends and feel it is a good one for anything I decide to hunt in the future. Indepence day weekend, this rifle will be used on a prairie dog and predator hunt. I'll use the explosive a-max on the p-dogs and jack rabbits, and will have some FMJ's loaded up for the coyote that is unfortunate enough to cross my path.

Who needs this much gun to hunt in north america, well I do for peace of mind and POWER. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The punch I recieve is livable, and a good reminder to make every shot count. I tend to remember things better if they are beat into me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

If you do have any further problems with it....

Steelbed works very well. Have also used powdered stainless from Brownells mixed with Acraglass gel. Wish I would have taken a picture of my Accumark with it's aluminum bedding block. Looked like a neglected cold chisel head. Bed the lug in as tight as you dare. Two layers of electrical tape front and bottom of lug is all I ever do and then bed the entire action.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

HoytemanPA,
The problem I encounter is in the tape. Some how I always manage to get bedding stuff between the tape and the metal or the tape getting stuck to the rest of the bedding in spite of the usage of releasing agent. What kind of tape do you use? I have used electrical tape!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!