Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

my journey to LRS skill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

my journey to LRS skill

just yesterday I went and passed my PAL test (possession and acquisition licence), I live in Canada so you need to pass a test before you can buy a gun... and after i passed the test they had an open house thing where anyone could go and shoot guns, this was sponsored by savage arms, EVERY rifle/shotgun/lever action there hadn't been fired once. now before this I had pretty much decided to buy a 111 LRH in 300 winchester magnum, when was there they had it in the creed more caliber (don't remember the actual caliber, but it was significantly smaller than 300 WM) and I loved it, all 3 shots i took pinged steel at 100 (i know nto saying much, but it felt so goood), then I shot the 110 in 338 lapua magnum, and hot sh!t is than gun nice, if i had like 5k to throw i would definitely buy that guy, but alas. so now im waiting for the mail strike to end so I can mail in my application so I can wait 6 weeks so I can order a gun and maybe shoot a few times in august... (stupid background checks...) if anyone here is from canada and been through this I was wondering if i can go to my local RCMP store get a background check then go to the canada place where we'd get our passport and other legal canadian documents and get it expedited a little? any way, I'm going to be updating this article as the story unfolds. If this is in the wrong forum just yell at me where its supposed to go.
Thanks, Evan
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: my journey to LRS skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDewbie View Post
just yesterday I went and passed my PAL test (possession and acquisition licence), I live in Canada so you need to pass a test before you can buy a gun... and after i passed the test they had an open house thing where anyone could go and shoot guns, this was sponsored by savage arms, EVERY rifle/shotgun/lever action there hadn't been fired once. now before this I had pretty much decided to buy a 111 LRH in 300 winchester magnum, when was there they had it in the creed more caliber (don't remember the actual caliber, but it was significantly smaller than 300 WM) and I loved it, all 3 shots i took pinged steel at 100 (i know nto saying much, but it felt so goood), then I shot the 110 in 338 lapua magnum, and hot sh!t is than gun nice, if i had like 5k to throw i would definitely buy that guy, but alas. so now im waiting for the mail strike to end so I can mail in my application so I can wait 6 weeks so I can order a gun and maybe shoot a few times in august... (stupid background checks...) if anyone here is from canada and been through this I was wondering if i can go to my local RCMP store get a background check then go to the canada place where we'd get our passport and other legal canadian documents and get it expedited a little? any way, I'm going to be updating this article as the story unfolds. If this is in the wrong forum just yell at me where its supposed to go.
Thanks, Evan

Not to offend, but Canadian gun laws suck. Yall are just a step ahead of Australia.

On the Sav 111, possibly the 6.5Creedmoor?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

i do and dont agree with you on gun laws. I do think it shouldn't take 6-8 weeks for my licence to get here, thats insane. we also have ALOT of different guns we cant buy here, anything that has a large clip size, fully auto, small, no silencers or suppressors. But having to take a test to prove you will be safe with a gun is a good idea, you cant just go out and start driving a car, you'd kill someone cause you didn't know what you were doing, if you had a gun and didnt know what you were doing you could kill someone or yourself just as easily. in that respect I really prefer canada's over the states'. but that's just my opinion. and yeah that was the caliber.
Thanks, Evan
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

Taking a test doesn't make you safe or proficient. All of that comes with time you study to take your driving test with all the answering the book I'm guessing you studied from a book or the INTERNET to take the gun test all that says is you can read and take a test. You learn safety from other folks new gun owners are for the most part careful. folks that handle guns all the time will tend to get careless quicker. It comes down to each his own. Whats wrong with gun laws here if memory serves you've had a few gun problems of your own. Most think a gun law will help to protect them the law does nothing, it's for the good guys the bad guy could care less what kind of law you have or test you take. Laws are for honest people not dishonest. Enough said if your happy being told what you can and cannot have then good for you as for me as long as I obey the law of the land then I should be able to own what ever I can afford to have. Rant off. Enjoy your new toy.

Last edited by KurtPiet; 06-21-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member

Congratulations on passing your test, but man, I'm glad I live down here even with all the laws infringing on our 2A rights.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

First off congrats on the PAL. I too am a Canadian, and sympathise with your waiting process. Now, as for the background checks, nothing you can do to speed that one up, but it shouldnt take to long.

As far as the laws, I dunno, the whole registry thing is a farce. With my job, I tend to work a bit with police, and the way they look at it is, if they go to a domestic dispute ok, they know he has a firearm, whatever, but true criminals dont register guns anyway and have their own way of getting them, specially the assault rifles (restricted/prohibited). So, this registry thing just aint all that it was intended or cracked up to be, still alot of question marks. Just my $ .02
Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Bronze Member

1st. Its better then Chicago. you get to have a gun.
2nd. I had someone teach me or start teaching me how to drive and shoot when i was very young. he also taught me the responsibility that went with them. so when i had to take the test i did i knew what i was doing
3ed. Its nice to see someone has enough love for the sport that they will jump threw the hoops they have to to own a gun.