Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

My First Rifle - finally made a decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

My First Rifle - finally made a decision

Well, if you remember when I first joined this group I had a friend who is going to teach me to hunt. I am 55, disabled and moved to Montana about 1 1/2 years ago. I have never hunted or even shot a gun my whole life so this is a big step for me. Most everybody around here hunt Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer & Elk. While there are other big game animals like Moose, Antelope, Bear, Mountain Lion, Big Horn Sheep etc..., the vast majority of hunting is for deer & elk.
My friend runs an action house and had one particular rifle in mind in an upcoming auction for me.
Unfortunately someone bid $675, where my friend said I shouldn't go more than $500 for this rifle.
So I have been researching hunting rifles on the internet and finally decided on one specific rifle: The Howa Hogue GameKing Package combo in .25-06 cal.
It is suggested retail for $610.00 but, I found it for $499.99 at Shiptons Big R West. I have seen this exact rifle for sale on the internet for $610.00 and higher yet, most all of them said they were out of stock.

I was advised by many people to go with the .25-06 cal. rather than the .270 cal. because of the felt recoil.
Everybody said the .25-06 cal. does everything the .270 cal. can do with a reduced recoil.

The Howa Hogue GameKing Package comes with a Nikko Stirling 3.5-10x44 GameKing Scope.
Here is a picture showing all the features:

So, what is your opinion on this Company, this Rifle and Caliber?
Keep in mind my particular situation, being new to Hunting, Disabled since 1996. I already purchased my General Deer & Elk license and sent in my application for Hunting from a vehicle. I don't know that I will use the hunting from vehicle but, since I qualify I thought why not get it, it is a Lifetime privilege. I also have the disabled Hunting & Fishing licenses which are also for a Lifetime.

If it makes any difference, I live in the South-West corner of Montana, about 50 miles north of Yellowstone National park.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: My First Rifle - finally made a decision

Well...I'd say a Howa is a great gun. I have one in 22-250 and it's a solid, accurate shooter. They are basically the same action as the Vanguard. Weatherby doesn't just slap their name on anything. I'd say 25-06 is a good choice for deer...make sure you used a stout bullet if using it on elk, but it can take one, if the shot is placed right, etc. Good luck and keep up posted on how things go.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
Well...I'd say a Howa is a great gun. I have one in 22-250 and it's a solid, accurate shooter. They are basically the same action as the Vanguard. Weatherby doesn't just slap their name on anything. I'd say 25-06 is a good choice for deer...make sure you used a stout bullet if using it on elk, but it can take one, if the shot is placed right, etc. Good luck and keep up posted on how things go.
Thanks for the reply.
I will keep posting my progress and continue reading all the valuable information so many share on this site.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Great rifle, great caliber.

If it were me I'd look for it without the scope, and buy a better scope.

HOWA Model 1500 Rifle 25-06 CAL (NIB) : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
Old 05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
Great rifle, great caliber.

If it were me I'd look for it without the scope, and buy a better scope.

HOWA Model 1500 Rifle 25-06 CAL (NIB) : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
Thanks for the info. Since I am unfamilar with ALL aspects of Rifles & Scopes.

What is wrong with the Nikko Stirling 3.5-10x44 GameKing Scope
  1. Nikko Stirling 3.5-10x44 GameKing - $129.95
  2. NIKKO STIRLING Gameking 3.5-10x44 $137.90
  3. Nikko Stirling 3.5-10X44 Gameking $145.00
Legacy Sports - Nikko Stirling Scopes Gameking

How much more should I spend and what advantage would I get for the extra money?

I am Disabled, Low Income (SSDI) and not looking to shoot 1000 meters and hit someone between their eyes.
I'm just going Deer Hunting. Wouldn't this scope be sufficient for my purposes ?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Gold Member

Based on your stated purpose i would look for a good 3x9 scope.

From any of the more reputable makers.

When hunting your only as good as your weakest link.

I would agree that Nikko Sterling is not the link I would want to rely on.

That does not mean you have to spend a lot.

Vortex makes good optics in your stated purpose and price range and have good customer service.

I had one of the entry level Nikon's and it was very good.

And if you go with a brand that has good cross over warranty searching the classifieds on some of the hunting forums will yield you with a used better scope at your stated price ragge.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...9x40mm-114593/

The link above is to a decent 3x9 in the classifieds now.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.