Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

My first long range rifle, what can i expect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My first long range rifle, what can i expect

I have a 6-284 1-8" twist & can help you out.

Rem 700 LA/LH
28" SS Kreiger
McM A-5
Shilen match trigger (very underrated)
HS DBM

Ramshot Magnum is fantastic
Fed 210m
Lapua Brass
Sierra 107SMK
OAL ~3.100

You don't need to slow down for the Sierra, the 105VLD may or may not like your setup (won't after 300-400rounds).

Velocity used in bal. calc. 3375 or 3380 (shoot lots of calibers sorry).
best group so far is 1.5" 3-shot @ 500yds in perfect conditions.

The 6-284 is crazy fun, but keep your bbl cool cause it is a bbl hungry beast. A few of our LRH brethren have made kills on whitetail/pronghorn @ 700-800 which is where I would call it quits with the 6mm's .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My first long range rifle, what can i expect-complete-stock-barreled-action.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. For the info. Nice rifle. What causes the VLD to stop shooting after X amount of rounds? Will I need to keep chasing the lands? This is strictly a calling set up so no worries bout getting the bbl hot.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

My knowledge of the hunting VLD. The 6-284 can push the 105 up very close to 3400fps (properly equipped rifle). Most VLD's are known for having a velocity threshold at ~3200, you can usually push them harder with a new bbl. After a few hundred rounds, you throat will get a little rough, which isn't very nice to the already thin jacket of the Hunting VLD. At 3400fps, you have a good possibility of the hunting VLD coming apart on you. This is why most people are using or suggesting the 115VLD, they should run right around that magic 3200 area...

The SMK being designed as a target bullet, has far stronger jacket & can be pushed at pretty much any achievable velocity you can throw at it. The down side it, when velocity drops terminal performance can suffer.

Clear as mud?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

i was thinking along those lines, haha thanks for the explenation. Do you think the Berger Hybrids will hold up better then the hunting VLD? My local shot carrys all kinds of Sierra bullets, everything but the 107's haha
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

forgot to mention outlaw our guns will almost be brothers haha, just a different name on the stock minus cheek piece
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I have shot several antelope beyond 1K with the Berger 115. It is a great bullet that opens well but does not blow apart. It will penetrate very well and actually will do better in the wind than the lighter bullets. I would not hesitate to fire at a mule deer at 1K wit the Berger 115 launched at 3250 fps (which is what I get with it). If that was what I had and I had a shot that I felt was doable given wind, rangefinding and animal angle I would not hesitate on an elk, but things would need to be very good for me before I would break the trigger.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotehunter243 View Post
i was thinking along those lines, haha thanks for the explenation. Do you think the Berger Hybrids will hold up better then the hunting VLD? My local shot carrys all kinds of Sierra bullets, everything but the 107's haha
I (along with several folks) Have high hopes for the Berger Hybrid. I'm really hoping they will hold together in my 6.5WSM better than the 140VLD's are reported to do. I am also curious to see how the 6mm versions conduct themselves.... only time will tell... unfortunately !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I have shot several antelope beyond 1K with the Berger 115. It is a great bullet that opens well but does not blow apart. It will penetrate very well and actually will do better in the wind than the lighter bullets. I would not hesitate to fire at a mule deer at 1K wit the Berger 115 launched at 3250 fps (which is what I get with it). If that was what I had and I had a shot that I felt was doable given wind, rangefinding and animal angle I would not hesitate on an elk, but things would need to be very good for me before I would break the trigger.

Thanks for the input bob, I probably would have gone with the 115 had there been any significant increase in the BC over the 105VLD or 107SMK. Just not enough to warrant doing so (especially when compared to the 115DTAC @.580)

The bullet I am really starting to get curious about is the 117 Matrix, with a published (albeit static) BC of .650! WOW... now, I know it is a static listing (damn!), but even if it turned out to be .600.... makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!