Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Muzzle breaks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Muzzle breaks.

I have looked at a few of these divices and like the idea of them, but what I dont care for is the added length and the noise they generate. Has any one tried getting a rifle magnaported? I am talking about there EDM machining process breaks, not the type that threads on a barrel.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle breaks.

I had my .270 featherweight mag-na-ported as the 6 .5 pound gun kicks like a mule.

Before mag-na-porting it kicked like a mule
After mag-na-porting it still kicks like a mule, only it's louder.

I wasted my money on the process. I saw no reduction in recoil.

Save your money. If you don't want a brake for the reasons you listed, try one of those recoil systems that utilized a hydraulic recoil pad. I've never tried one, but would be interested in how it performs.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:52 PM

I have several rifles Magna ported and there is a definite advantage in that it reduces the barrel climb significantly!
My .375 H&H shot with full loads on a benchrest barely lifts off the front bag whilst an identical rifle will climb about a foot into the air.
The recoil is still there but the porting helps greatly in follow through and faster recovery time.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bwalker,

If your looking to reduce felt recoil, DO NOT HAVE YOUR RIFLE MAGNA-PORTED.

This process was designed for big bore handguns to help control muzzle jump. It was not intended to be used on rifles by design but has been misused for along time in this mannor.

THe magna-port system will not reduce felt recoil. All it will do is keep the muzzle down which actually transmits more recoil energy to your shoulder in a straighter line.

When the rifle lifts in recoil, it absords alot of that recoil energy. When it is kept from doing this, your shoulder gets all the recoil energy transmitted to it.

Just to prove my point, Magna-Ports owner Mr. Kelly had to design a system called Magna-Brake with is an actual muzzle brake designed to do what the porting will not, reduce felt recoil.

If you want to stop muzzle jump, go ahead, if you want to reduce felt recoil, do it right and use a brake.

In my shop I highly recommend the Holland Quick Discharge muzzle brakes and have yet to have a customer not be totally amazed with the amount of recoil reduction they got. They are simply amazing and the only brake I will use is the customer does not demand something else.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

Gunsmith named R.L. Matthews in Calhoun,Ga.
makes and installs some mighty effecient brakes, you can easily tell the difference in recoil and they aren't as noisy as some!
Montana muzzle brakes also make some great brakes.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:36 AM

If you're getting pounded hard enough, you will definitely not mind the extra 2 inches or the noise. Just went to a heavier barrel and a muzzle break, and the felt recoil is amazingly lighter! Being able to shoot comfortably definitely helps my groups, and it makes it a lot more fun to do so! The only time I would not recommend a break is if you are going to be shooting from cramped quarters, such as a tree stand that is built too small to maneuver in. If this is the case, I'd entertain the idea of using a different rifle or a bigger stand. If you are not limited to space, go for the break.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:05 PM

I try out alot of hand loads in 338 and 7mm mag, looking for ???. At the bench I was getting beat up trying new loads out with either rifle. I went to brakes and have never looked back. When hunting it makes a lot of noise but at 60 yrs old and one shot its not going to damage my hearing anymore than the service did.
Jim