Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

muzzle breaks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Bronze Member

muzzle breaks?

I've seen where several of you use breaks, but I was wandering do they effect the projectile in any way? For instance would they change poi, reduce velocity, or change trajectory with short or long range shots, or does it just depend on the break? Also what would be the best break that would look like it is the barrel and not some conglamoration added to the end of the barrel for looks, and do its job?

Old 02-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: muzzle breaks?

Bryan,
Properly installed,there is no accuracy loss,in fact generally you will be able to shoot better groups as you are not getting beat up by your rifle.Hearing protection is a must for any muzzle break.
If your rifle is zeroed in without the muzzle break on and then the muzzle break is installed POI will change.There is no velocity loss,In my experience.
I have made and installed many different kind of muzzle breaks.If you are interested in some pix let me know and I will try to post them.
308nate
Old 02-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

The Badger brake fit's the bill you are looking for. It can be turned down to perfectly match the barrel. I shoot one on my 338 Lapua.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 AM

I have the Badger Breaks that Chris mentioned I have them as a removable option... however, you want to be careful in doing this alot ...

My point is that.. it does change the POI a bit when removed.. but not more than about .5" on my rifles...it affects the barrel harmonics when in place or removed... but the accuracy remains the same..

you tend to get better accuracy with one as mentioned above as you are not getting beat up by your rifle...

I get ribbed all the time about a break on my 308 but hey I can see hits at 150 yards and the thing bearly moves when I squeeze the trigger... ;-)
Old 02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

"Badger brake" I cannot find info on this anywhere. could one of you let me know where I can get more info or a pic of this brake?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Try "here"
Old 02-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Dick, Thanks I didn't see it on there when i was there befor. guess i didn't look hard enough.

Thanks again,
Ben