Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

muzzle brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

muzzle brake question

Does anyone know who makes the muzzle brake on the Armalite AR-50 and can one be had in a .338. A guy at the range suggested that I get one of these for my .338, I said that would look cool, but I'm having trouble find them. Got any ideas?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: muzzle brake question

You can get it from Armalite, but I would suggest the OPS Inc brake instead.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

They might look cool, but anyone next to you will definitely not like them. Plus others are just as effective and not as annoying to other people.

Consider the Vais, Harrels, Holland etc.

BH
Old 05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Chris, and Bounty Hunter. I went to the OPS Inc website a little bit ago and I really like the R3E2C brake for these reasons... It looks cool and appears to work very well and it is made in the same diameter of my muzzle. .970". My barrel starts out at about 1.3", but goes down from there. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Oh, come on now... People at my range love me, my AR50 and the fantastic brake.

Why, just last week a group of highpower shooters came and set up all around me. Funky rifles, shooting mats, spotting scopes, bags, slings, jackets and all manner of paraphernalia within a few feet and on both sides of the mighty 50.

I let them get all curled up and comfy with their whopping load of gear - all twisted, buttoned and primped into their straightjackets and all.

Why, they didn't even comment on the tornado I had on my bench. They just laid down to shoot.

Just as they were all getting into firing position, I courteously reminded them that this was a .50 BMG. One of their more intelligent members shrugged, "Uhhh... Yeah, so?".

I said, "Well, it really doesn't matter to me, but when I pull the trigger, it'll matter to you for two reasons. The first thing to happen will be that your spotting scopes, mats and hairpeices will all fly in a roughly northerly or southerly direction at high speed. Second, you will catch on fire."

The look on their faces was priceless. Yep, they love me...

The AR50 brake is far and away the most effective brake design for the BMG. Check out www.biggerhammer.net to get the full picture. It is so effective, and channels gases so directly, that it is a real danger to those directly beside you.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Ditto that, STL. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Guys just wander around them like unsuspecting mice in a snakes cage, then... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Hello!!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

STL, you had to say that didn't you? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Now I want one again, right now! The other one is better off with me though.

[ 05-06-2004: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]