Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM

muzzle brake

Im considering a .300 RUM and have gotten input that the recoil can be managed very well by the use of a muzzle brake. My brother however says that the noise heard by the shooter is greatly increased. So, first, is this true, and second will my ears be safe while shooting this in the field at a live game animal without ear protection?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: muzzle brake

Yes the blast seems louder because the brake directs the blast to the sides and back and if you value your hearing you will always wear ear protection.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

There is no more noise with a brake than without. With that said there is more noise directed at you along with the muzzle blast. This is why a brake works. If the gases are directed out to the sides or back in any way the felt recoil is less. If the gases go forward out of the barrel (no brake) you feel more recoil.
Some people do not like muzzle brakes but I would say the vast majority of us do. Makes life a little easier on the shoulder and more comfortable to shoot. Less likely to flinch with less recoil. When Im shooting at an animal I certainly dont notice.lol
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Yes i understand that it does not make the noise louder but simply directs more noise to the shooter. Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else care to share their opinion on whether the noise is going to be a hazard to my hearing while shooting without ear protection?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
There is no more noise with a brake than without. With that said there is more noise directed at you along with the muzzle blast. This is why a brake works. If the gases are directed out to the sides or back in any way the felt recoil is less. If the gases go forward out of the barrel (no brake) you feel more recoil.
Some people do not like muzzle brakes but I would say the vast majority of us do. Makes life a little easier on the shoulder and more comfortable to shoot. Less likely to flinch with less recoil. When Im shooting at an animal I certainly dont notice.lol
The more noise directed at you will do more damage to your ears. Hunt with hearing protection on or your muzzle brake off.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot brakes that you felt like your ears were going to bleed and the shooter gets a lot of concussion, others you don't even notice that you have a brake except for a slight increase in noise level. I recently put a Muscle Brake on a 270 WSM and my buddy and I took turns shooting it with and without the brake and you could barely tell the difference in sound but a major difference in recoil, I've had several guys comment on it being quite at the range as well!
At any rate I'm getting to the point that if I don't have ear protection I'm not pulling the trigger, you may think your not doing any damage but that just not so, electronic ear muffs are awesome IMO!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

I use the corded plug, I have them in my pocket, pack and around my neck, so if I lose one I have back ups. I have turned into such a puss that I even take them hunting with an unbraked gun.