Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Muzzle Brake In 300 Winchester Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 09:29 AM

Muzzle Brake In 300 Winchester Magnum

I am about to have a go at some long range shooting, occasionally hunting. I have been shooting for many years but nothing bigger that 308 and I would appreciate some advice. At this stage I have decided to get 300 Winchester Magnum (I have contemplated 338 Win Mag) and I don’t think that I will change my mind – availability of cheap ammo without a need to reload being the main, but not the only factor. My specific question is in regard to muzzle brake. I understand that by having one installed the recoil will be greatly reduced but there are some drawbacks, especially if occasional use without hearing protection may be required. On the other hand I am quite prepared to increase the overall weight of the rifle (mercury in the stock or whatever) and fit heavy duty recoil pad. Am I kidding myself thinking that I will be able to shoot 40 rounds in the afternoon and not suffer for days afterwards if I go without a muzzle brake?
Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle Brake In 300 Winchester Magnum

Unless your five feet tall and weigh about 100 pounds I don't see much of a reason for one. You can always shoot the rifle and see how it feels. If you decide you want one then go for it.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:26 AM

I am six feet tall and weigh more than 200 pounds, but I am still bit weary when it comes to recoil. On the other hand I am quite willing to increase the weight of the rifle considerably. This leads to another question, how much would I have to add to the weight of a “standard” rifle to make the recoil manageable/acceptable? I am not that keen to modify the rifle and increase its weight only to find out that muzzle brake must be fitted anyway.
Cheers
Old 08-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Big guys get hit alot harder by recoil than little guys. Simple laws of physics- a big guy has more mass to move and the little guy can "roll" with the punch easier.
A good recoil pad and some weight will help but don't forget about accumulative recoil on those 40 or 100 round days. It will add up and take its toll.
However, recoil is a subjective thing. While I might need it to weigh 15 lbs to shoot it comfortably without a break you might need 10 and the next guy might need 20.
Shoot it first and start adding things one by one until you get to your comfort level.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

I'm 6-3 or so and weight about 200, but I don't feel recoil much at all. Never really have. I used to shoot the .30-378 with factory loads off the bench without a break. I would say try it without a brake and if its too much go get one then.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:10 PM

Thanks Chris, some years ago one of my friends who is about half my size was able to shoot comfortably my Rossi 44 magnum carbine, which I thought was created by the devil with a specific purpose to make my life miserable. What you say makes a lot of sense but on the other hand the same fellow was intimidated by my Lee Enfield 303, which as far as I was concerned was very mild to shoot.
Go figure.
Cheers
Old 08-15-2004, 08:58 PM

T3
Are you buying a T3 in 300 winmag?I have the hunter and I put a pachmayr pad on,now I can handle extended shooting sessions.I am 6ft and weigh 200lbs.I shoot 165gr baltips @3050fps and the pad really helps.The T3 rifle is as light as I will go in magnum calibers.