Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

muzzel brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Re: muzzel brakes

I had a muzzel break put on my .300WM and now the bipod doesn't leave the bench. It just shoves back instead of back and up. I agree with Jerry I use ear plugs under my Peltor ear muffs.

Unread 06-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I put an Ops Inc Muzzle brake on my 300 WM and the recoil is slightly less than that of my .308. The .308 is the VSS and the 300 WM is the Sendero so it's nearly the same gun and nearly the same weight.

Last night I was breaking in the barrel and forgot to put my hearing protection back on for a shot, (I still had those cheap orange plugs in my ears which hardly stop any of the noise) and I was surprised that it wasn't as loud as I thought given that I was in a covered shooting area.

I'm liking the Ops Inc.
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Writers Guild

Believe it or not, some of those silly orange plugs reduce noise levels 'higher' then an ear muff. I use the ones rated at 33dB. Best muff is rated at 31dB. A pretty sig. difference.

So why use ear muffs? Because sound is transmitted through your skull as well as down you ear canal. The ear muff insulates the noise through the area around your ear. Using both does not mean a 64dB level reduction. But it is significant.

Also, the noise level that was stopped by the ear plugs was in the upper range of intensity. That is why it didn't sound that loud.

However, still a good idea to use both if you can.

Unread 08-05-2004, 05:49 PM

do you need to have the muzzle of your rifle treaded to install a muzzle brake?
and i though muzzle treads breach the AWB, do you have to have it sealed on?
Unread 08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Jerry gives good advise re:ear plugs. Hearing is also done with the skull and bones in the head, as well as the ear. A good way to prevent hearing damage is to install foam rubber to the comb of the rifle stock to reduce vibrations transferred thru the head. A material similar to a mouse pad can be applied to the comb of the stock. This in combination with the ear plugs will greatly help in hearing loss reduction.

Any cushioning material between your cheek and the stock that cushions the "cheek weld" is a big help.

Frank D
"A tie is as good as a loss, and no one remembers second place."
Unread 08-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

Shooter in CT
IF your shooting a semi- than you might need to pin (after threading) the brake. However with a bolt gun (like most here use), the AWB dosn't come into play.