Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 09:48 AM

More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

Hi. Beeing new to the forum, I hope you have some patience with me.

I have plans of setting up the following rifle, and wonder if you guys got som comments and advice?

-HS Precision Heavy Tactical Rifle (left handed) chambered for .338 Laupa Magnum.
-HS Precision 2-piece weaver-base

-NightForce steel rings
-NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS sight (I am considering the NP-1RR reticle)

-BR Reflex T12 sound supressor (http://guns.connect.fi/rs/index.html)

Accessories:
-Harris bipod
-Accu-Shot monopod
-Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob

I already have the license for the rifle. I'm just waiting for the money to pay for it.
Sound supressors are legal in Norway, as long as you have a license for the weapon in question. The suppressor are used with full-power ammunition and functions as a very effective recoil- and sound-reducer without affecting accuracy.

The rifle are intended for long range target shooting and long range hunting. An example would be seals (no... not the little fluffy white ones.), where head shots are required and a high velocity is recomended.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Writers Guild

Re: More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

If varmint accuracy and high velocity are required, I would suggest against the 338 Lapua as it offers neither. for higher velocity, the bullets would have to be 'light' and have low BC making wind drift and issue. Pin point accuracy is very large magnums is much harder to get.

Suggest you look at the higher speed 6.5 or 7mm loaded with the highest BC bullets of fragile nature. Over here I would recommend the AMax family. For head shots, I want bullet explosions on impact to ensure that some central nervous component is disabled. Sinking seals would be a bitch to recover.

Jerry
Old 10-01-2005, 03:18 PM

ummmm ok..

high velocity and the 338 lapua .. do not go hand in hand...

high velocity and the 264 wm, 7Ultra, 300ultra, 6/284, 7 STW.. etc...

forget the weaver 2 piece junk.. go with Badger 1 piece base and rings!

NXS R2 ret.. not the R1

you are way over gunned for seals.. I would go with somthing in the 7mm or 30 cal range..
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 AM

I know I'm kind of overgunned for seals.. .I guess I just am trying to convince myself (and the law) that I realy need this rifle... Main application will be long range target shooting. Hunting with the rifle will be a added bonus.

When talking Badger Ordnance base and rings, should I use the BMG rings for use with a .338 rifle or stick with the standard Badger 30mm rings?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Skyggekrigeren,

Either set of Badger Ord rings will serve you very well. I would only use the Max-50s on a 338 Lapua if you were planning on using a very heavy or very large objective scope that needed to be mounted high off the receiver.

Other then that the standard Bad Ord rings will serve you very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM

OK. Would the standard 24" barrel be long enough for a .338, or should I order it with a longer barrel?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: skyggekrigeren
Subject: Re: More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

OK. Would the standard 24" barrel be long enough for a .338, or should I order it with a longer barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be looking at a barrel at least 28" long or longer for a 338 Lapua. You want to get maximum powder burn to take full advantage of that big case. 24" will be wasting a lot of unburned powder.

My 2 cents,
Frank D