Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

More NP-R2 photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: More NP-R2 photos

Hey Tex,

can you post a link to it? I can look at the area and let ya know... Damn, you could move up and have your own ranch here!!

Sounds good if it isn't too far away from Palmer though. My dad had 40 up in Petersville area and they're going for 40K for 40, but that's an hour and a half up the highway AWAY from where work would be...
Old 06-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Gold Member

Hopefully this will work

[URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayisapi.dll?view item&item=2324320184 80 ACRES IN ALASKA[/URL]. Brent if that doesn't work here is the info.

Mile92,Parks Hwy,Alaska listed city is Talkeetna.

BTW what the hell is a Ptarmigan [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] and how do you cook one? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sounds like something you order in N.Y.

Here is the first one I was telling you about
40 with Lodge

Maybe we can get this little beauty has its own security PLACE IN THE COUNTRY

[ 06-10-2003: Message edited by: Texas ]
Old 06-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Texas,

Talkeetna is right accross the HWY from Petersville wouldn't ya know, that's exactly where my wife will be working here shortly... It's a long drive. Took us almost two hours to get up there and talk to the boss on the job on Friday, road construction.. pilot car etc, etc... She'll be leavin early. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm heading to work in the opposite dirrection almost as far, it'll take me almost an hour and a half to get to Caribou Creek on that job too.... I'd probably ride with my dad but he always works real late. I'll need wheels too, they said I'd be pulled off to haul equipment around on the lowboy and who know when I'll get off either if that's the case.

That link didn't work. Sounds about right for that area though, the same amount of property around here would be at least 5-6k an acre if sold in a huge chunk like that. I paid 9K for this piddley little acre I have here.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Gold Member

Sorry to hear that wished that link would have work. You'ld get a kick out of the little place. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] 8bedrooms 10,000+ square feet on 17 acres acess is through Ft. Wainwright surrounding property is state owned the soliders will keep the unwanted out for you [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Great American TAX DOLLARS at work [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] They call it the Alaskan Castle $625,000. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

You know it, and that's just a "tiny" piece of your tax dollars at waste too...

Here's a couple pics at different ranges that I stopped at randomly and took a shot at. One shot at each target after ranging with the R2 and snapping a picture. Here's the pic of where I hit when taking the shot at each range after punching the numbers into the Exbal program. The reticle analysis sceen told me how much my POI would be off for each holdover Bar, whichever "undisclosed" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Bar I dicided to use. The amount that POI will be off if using a certain bar, as indicated by Exbal, is accounted for by additional hold over or under when using that Bar too.

The freezer paper covered sheet of plywood is a standard 48" x 96", and the bottom is in complete view and not buried in sand, as it sets up on the stand's pipe legs.

When I ranged it with the R2, I was off by 1 yard in the first pic, the second I was off by exactly 20 yards. I fired each shot based on my R2 range estimation, then lazed it with the YP1000 and took a snapshot through it... for ya all to see later. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Wind was 8 MPH average (Kestrel 4000) on the first range(pic), and 5 MPH on the second. Windage was dialed in, simply to observe my wanting, but improving doping ability. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Holding off would have been just as simple, especially with the numbers I was using. First range; shot was top center of bull (#30) and the second range it was 10.25" above POA and 2.25" rt. Both these shots were taken with the 300 Ultra and a 178 A-Max at 3230 fps AVE and still using the book BC of .495, temp was 70 deg F, BP 29.40 at 88ft ASL. After looking over all the notes from data today that I collected at 700 and 1000 yards I'd have to say this bullets true BC is closer to .530 with very few exceptions. 233" of drop at 1000 yards and 87" at 700 yards. The other shots both went high too so the .530 BC fits. My MV ES was 25 fps for ten shots before beginning. That average speed fell in line with all the other tests which all happened to average 3228 fps as well.

Oh well, here ya go.... Sorry bout the pic quality, Dave does a much better job. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 10:37 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 06-13-2003, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Guess I should have said, so that ya "knew" it was on 22x. That helps just a bit! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Got to spend an hour or so with the laser and the R2 backing into some measurements on some Moose on my way home the other night. Just before I got to the house, there were 5 Moose standing in the swamp eating grass.

Ranges were 610, 350, 300, 250 and 80 yards, so I got some real good measurements on the young two year olds and a couple older full grown ones. Three out of five were bulls too. That was about 1AM just before dark, well if you can call it dark. Just barely had to turn the lit reticle on. It's 2 AM now and it isn't getting "dark" anymore now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]