Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

More NP-R2 photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: More NP-R2 photos

S1

I've haven't seen this 4) Know how to convert MPH of target to FEET PER SECOND: MPH divided by 7 multiplied by 11 In this example:
30/7 = 4.3, 4.3 X 11 = 47
before. This makes 1 mile per hour (mph) = 1.57 feet per second (fps), I've always seen 1.46 fps as the conversion. Do you have a leading edge factor built into this constant? (Some of the folks I know use the leading edge rather than the intended point-of-impact(POI) as the point-of-aim(POA)).

Second and carry-on example about movers, if you don't mind. I believe some folks may find this difference particularly interesting.

If we say this previous mover has a companion at 100 yards, also moving 30 mph 90 degrees how much do we need to change the lead hold to kill them both? (I was quite amazed when I first studied movers and the relationship of target distance (time-of-flight) to lead requirements. Once I figured it was angular it cleared up a lot.)

Thanks in advance.

[ 06-06-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 06-06-2003, 01:35 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 06-06-2003, 01:45 PM

Old 06-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

My hat's off to the guys that can hit movers at 30 mph, that's all I can say!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Interesting stuff!

I use Exbal to figure the lead, and usually leave it set to 1 mph so I can use multiples of that calculation if needed.

Using it to figure angled shots is one thing I find real quick and handy.

What can we do with the reticle by changing the power setting?

Concerning Exbal, its reticle optimization feature will tell you what power setting will zero the closest tick mark to the "exact" range you have entered into it... no clickin needed. OR it will simply tell you how far off the POI will be for each tick mark from the POA if using a tick mark as a POA crosshair.

Tell it you're changing the power setting to what ever setting you enter and it will show you how much closer the POI is now to POA.

This type of modifiable chart in the field is just too damn cool for the average LR hunter... like me. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] As S1 explains it here too, the R2 is quite an exceptional tool for many situations or styles.
http://www.perry-systems.com/palm.htm

Interesting to know these formulas and why they work the way they do but, some of that stuff is more than anyone has time to figure in the field, even if they knew the TOF for various distances etc... isn't it?

Ranging with the R2 takes a little bit of research into height and width of certain body features on animals you're hunting before hand while scouting and such but, for the most part ranging it's straight forward and simple math to do in your head in just seconds before the shot is taken. How well you learn the exact height and width of those things that need to be "bracketed" in the field is what will likely determine your accuracy in the field. I use a LRF and the R2 to acertain the sizes from a distance, as I can't always measure them on a dead animal. A young adults body size will throw you off alot let me tell you! The more data you collect, the better! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Something to consider:
Your possible amount of error in yards added to another possibly "stacked" error eminating from a reality based group size at whatever range the target is at would dictate weather the shot would be an almost certain kill.

For example, first assume two things;

1) You're always able to hold an 8" group at 800 yards consistantly.

2) The size of the body part you're bracketing for ranging purposes with the R2 is always within 10% of the size you have logged and are doing your figuring with.

You now are ready for a shot at 800 yards but this shot will be an extreme "low in a group" shot, resulting in a -4" low POI.

The body part you are bracketing is +5% larger than anticipated, resulting in a range estimation error that "stacks" another -8" low POI to the error amount, for a total possible error of -12".

Instead, a "high in a group" shot would of course cancel out some of the range error for a total error of only -4" low POI. However, considering a possible stacking effect of errors, it's wise to error on the side of caution.

[ 06-06-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 06-06-2003, 04:44 PM

Old 06-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

A very valid ? was brought out, can we calculate the size of deer/elk horns with this? Here were I hunt moose they have to be spike/fork, 3 or more brow tines or 50" or bigger. Now we are looking at a moose at 400 yards, the verticle hashes on the horizontal cross hair = 5" at 100 yards * 4 = 20" * 2 = 40. The moose's antlers need to fill 2.5 marks to be legal. Crosshair on far left side and then the antlers need to be half way to the 3rd mark to = 50". A similar method could be used to figure the overall length of an elks antlers. First you need the yardage, then you need to know your MOA of the marks in your scope. yardage / 100 * MOA in the reticle. We know that on the reticle in ? that side marks are 5 MOA, an elk at 400 yards that has a antler that fills 2 marks he would have a 40" long horn. 400/100=4*10MOA=40". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

Ok I'm middle aged and a little slow but think I under stand this a little better now.

This past weekend I was watching a combat sniper competion on tv and they had to shoot at a unknown distance greater that 500 yards to score. Most teams didn't do it. So how could we use the R2 to figure out the unknown or am I asking something that was posted and didn't see it.

S1 I know that you helped design it can it be used for farther out that 1000yds and if so how do we do it?