Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Moose Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Moose Hunting

Grunt,
I would also consider the Win. Failsafe or the Federal Trophy Bonded bullets in factory loads - both shoot very well and they are 95% retention bullets. Other super tough bullets are the Barnes and the Swift A-Frame, all are 95-100 percent retension bullets.
When you go to the Interbond, Accubond, Scirocco and Grenad Slam you get from 65-85%, still good but not as good if you have to penetrate a lot of mass such as in a raking shot.
Moose are BIG targets. Get a good shooting rest, place the shot into the chest and he will die. You have lots of time to find a good hunting load, bullet placement and performance are the key here, not hair-splitting accuracy.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

I hate to say it, but if its the trip of a lifetime, I think I'd get just a bit larger rifle. Around 300 mag or 338 mag. Just in case the only shot you get is further out, or has to penetrate at an angle or through bones.

Should add--even if the rifle is a cheapy savage and you had to use the scope off the 308 and or even sell the gun when you got back to conserve funds.

OTOH I'd feel totally fine with the 308 if I had the luxury to pass up a shot due to circumstances.

Whatever ya do stick with bonded bullets or better and don't go below 165. I shot a long time with a 308 in an M1A in matches and my favorite bullets were 180 grainers. They worked well and had enough power to penetrate well.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

The most dramatic shot you can make on a moose broadside is the hump shot! That is the central nervious system main juntion. A shot from even the lowly .222 REM. puts them on there side right now, just like you pulled the rug out from under there feet. This is an anchor shot, the only thing they can do is thrash there heads. "This is my favorite shot" I know young men on the Yukon river that kill quite a few moose each year using .308 WIN. and factory load REMINGTON corelock's and have no trouble. The next shot which works vary well is the TEXAS heart shot, this is a going away shot and the target is the poop tube. This shot will leave them with only front legs use for a vary short way. And lastly if you have a facing shot (head up) the junction of the neck, chest. Head down, go for that hump shot. Well this is all the different shots I've taken over the years except for a running shot that my swing got stopped by some alders and the shot was pulled and sliced the liver, he only made a few more steps before he was done. Contraey to popular belief they ain't hard to kill. The trick is to put them down quick so you don't have to carry them as far, or worry about a bear taking him away from you. Yes the lowly .22rf has and does still kill alot of them every year. But not as many as the railroad and cars do.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

3sixbits,

Well put. By the way, where is Bush, Alaska? I spoke to someone not long ago about a job working as an IT contractor near Anchorage - maybe I should have taken the job if Alaska is all I've heard it is! I live in Northern Virginia now, and it's seriously driving me mad. Too much hunting pressure in the woods and not enough space!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

WHITEWOLF393, Once upon a time a fellow was asked "why do you rob banks?" And his answer was, "Because thats where the money is". This is the answer I give when asked why do you live in Alaska? "This is the bank where they keep all the hunting". Many years ago, I heard some fellow say about Alaska that this is "where GOD used all the leftovers when he made the Earth" And to that my reply will allways remain the same. Yes, He took his time with her and got it right" It would take someone with the powers of a HEMINGWAY to paint with words what I feel for this land. I know that many of us feel this way about this land we call Alaska. A love that only growes more with time. I am glad not everyone feels the same. There wouldn't be room for us all. We've all read stories about large amounts of widlife in the past, with the great herds of bufflow, waterfowl ect. Today thoses stories are new in the Great land! BUSH, Alaska is anywhere the roads are made of air, ice or water. It starts where the cars can't go and the jets can't land. Come and give us a look see, just have a care, remember no stronger narcotic than Alaska!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

3sixbits,

That's a good reason. Since I love to hunt - and ski as well - I'm afraid that if I come to Alaska, I'll be bitten by the Last Frontier Bug and never leave. But, why be afraid? If it's my destiny to make a home there eventually, so be it, right?

Even though I haven't yet been to the Great Land, there's a part of me that draws me to her. Sounds strange, but that's how I feel. And you're right - I, too, am glad that not everyone feels the same way, so let those folks keep thinking that the sun never shines there :]

I'll make my way up to your homeland soon enough, partner, and I hope to taste of Alaska's bounty and experience her beauty. In the meantime, good hunting!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

TRY IT, You'll like it! And wellcome! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]