Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

MOA question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: MOA question

Eaglet and Kcebcj:
Thanks for the replies. Both products appear to fit the bill of what I've been looking for. I've done Google searches trying to find similar software but haven't had any luck.

Earl1704:
You've gotten some good advice here. I'm a long range newbie and only infrequently make the drive to where I can shoot over 100 yards. All I can tell you is that in my experience, a rifle/load that groups 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at 100 yards doesn't necessarily consistently group under 1 MOA at 400 yards. Maybe I need to find loads that have a tighter velocity range (I only got a chronograph this summer), or maybe the problem is me. Keep pluggin' away; I know I will.

By the way; I'm impressed by anyone who can put a few shots inside a few inches at 500 yards. I'm not as impressed with 3 shots inside an inch at 100 yards. Even a mediocre rifle/shooter can get 3 in an inch now and then at 100. The goal is to consistently hit your target; and, with practice, to increase your effective range.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

OK I got 1 here. I got this old rem pre 700 .06 been working on it the only thing left is pillers and bedding a wood stock. At a 100Y 3 1/2" circle with a 1/2 dot in it. Could barley see it but I kept aiming at the same spot. scope turned up to 5 or 6 a 3x9x40. Out of 10 shots had 4 flyers and the other 6 the bigest spreed is 1" center to center. If I mesure from the center HOLE it is no bigger than a 1/2. So what is the MOA? (can some 1 please answer this) If I could put a pic out here I would
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

cva, MOA = Minute of Angle which is an arc measuremnet. It is eqivelent to 1/60th of a degree and there being 360 degrees in a cricle. At 100 yds, 1 MOA = approx 1.047". If you want to throw out your fliers, your 6 shot group of 1/2" @ 100 yds = 1/2 MOA

Hope this helps,

-MR
Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

thank you that is the way I seen it just had to ask
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
They asked Matt Kenseth why he wouldn't wreck Jimmie Johnson in the last race so Carl Edwards would win the championship. Kenseth's reply was "Common sense".

That is pretty much the answer to your question.

So that is the way I see it. In my experience it usually is not so much an issue of distance as it is of wind. A lazer rangefinder will reduce distance errors but wind is really difficult and can cut your effective range down to really trivial distances. When the wind gets over 10 mph I don't like to shoot much over 500 or 600 yards and 600 is really pushing it.
That's kinda the way i see it too.

A couple years ago i posted somewhere that i was shooting right around MOA with some rig out to ~800 yds. (in good conditions). Some guy slammed me 'cause he thought i said that i could shoot 1" at 800 yds. He wasn't thinking about the "A" part of MOA, which = angular measurement, of course. MOA is just a concise system of explaining what's going on really. Instead of saying i shot around 2" @ 200 yds., 3" @ 300 yds., etc.--by the time i got to 800 yds. the guy i was telling it to would be asleep. The "MOA" term is fast--it's only 3 letters.

BTW, don't forget SMOA too. That's kinda' convenient to know also. SMOA is the bastardization of MOA (instead of 1.0472" per hundred yds. it's the more common inch per hundred yds.--also known as IPHY. so 1 IPHY exactly equals 1 SMOA).
Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Silver Member

ok then some one know math a lot better than me LOL