Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Minimum cartridge for 1000 yard elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Fellas,

I've been watching this thread for some time without getting involved. . . . I"m going to put in my two cents.
I probably shouldn't; It might raise some dust.

Bob58: this is not addressed as a confrontation to you. This is about your friend.

If your friend has to ask about it in the first place, he is not qualified to take the shot.
There are too many 'hunters' who purchase a high-powered weapon, walk out into the field and think they can responsibly take game at extended distances.

Most of the information given throughout this thread has been relatively solid.

But guys: Why would you give a shooter who is obviously green and inexperienced more information than he can responsibly use?

I've taken Alaskan moose from 10 yards out to extended ranges:
1 @ 864yards and 1 @ 926yards.
Both were under 'controlled' circumstances.
Both were one-shot kills.
Even with that under my belt, hitting the 1k yard mark on a live target is not something to take lightly.

Could it be that we are helping to create one more of those irresponsible testosterone driven "hunters" who take shots at animals beyond their present skill-set?
The same 'hunters' that serious long-range shooters would like to see in their cross-hairs?
The same ones that are a half-step above poachers?

Just something to think about.

(Ok, I know, I'll go away now.)
Old 12-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Sratey, There is information throughout this forum for shooters of all skill levels from just starting out to the top level shooters. This is under basics/starting out. As I went back to the previous posts it was clear they were trying in a courteous way to show this was extremely difficult and not for a beginner to just buy a big rifle and go try. I see what you are saying but I don't see anyone here saying go by this gun and tommorrow go blast a 1000 yard elk. Just my observation.

I have been doing this a long time and have some big guns. But by no means do I claim to be a top 1000 yard shot. Maybe something good can come out of this. Maybe beginners read about the top shooters on this site who can shoot a 1000 yards and apply that to 1000 yard hunting. 1000 yard targets and 1000 yard hunting are two completely different things. My 243 AI would be an awesome 1000 yard rifle, but not for hunting. I could learn an immense amount of knowledge from a 1000 yard target shooter and by the same token he could learn the same from a long range hunter like myself as to when and how to shoot considering reading the personality of the target for instance. Also bullet performance on big game for instance. That is why this site is so great. There are some top shooters here but do not confuse the information available.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Sratey, There is information throughout this forum for shooters of all skill levels from just starting out to the top level shooters. This is under basics/starting out. As I went back to the previous posts it was clear they were trying in a courteous way to show this was extremely difficult and not for a beginner to just buy a big rifle and go try. I see what you are saying but I don't see anyone here saying go by this gun and tommorrow go blast a 1000 yard elk. Just my observation.

I have been doing this a long time and have some big guns. But by no means do I claim to be a top 1000 yard shot. Maybe something good can come out of this. Maybe beginners read about the top shooters on this site who can shoot a 1000 yards and apply that to 1000 yard hunting. 1000 yard targets and 1000 yard hunting are two completely different things. My 243 AI would be an awesome 1000 yard rifle, but not for hunting. I could learn an immense amount of knowledge from a 1000 yard target shooter and by the same token he could learn the same from a long range hunter like myself as to when and how to shoot considering reading the personality of the target for instance. Also bullet performance on big game for instance. That is why this site is so great. There are some top shooters here but do not confuse the information available.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Sponsor

To all,

If someone wants to get into long range hunting how does one go about that with out proper equipment? If I was a novice and came to the board or a friend of the board and said I want to get into long range hunting, I want to get a 1000 yard elk rifle what do I get? I believe that our collective answer should be your opinion of long range hunting equipment and practice / training. It seems to me that both have been covered here. If we are to promote others interested, into our sport and welcome interested persons to the world of long range hunting I don't believe that informing them on what we believe is proper equipment is fostering potential unethical hunting. Anyone who reads more than 2 posts here will become aware that there is more to long range hunting than equipment. As senior board members I believe that we need to answer the questions asked of us and help to mold the novice by informing / steering the right direction. Who are we to determine how much info a person can responsibly use? Unethical people are unethical people and very seldom will any amount of info change that.

With that said I agree that the bigger 338's are the ticket in a platform that suits your needs. Add to that a good consistant load, proper bullet (I like the 300 SMK), solid optics, develope a good handle on your abilities / limitations and now your ready to start extending your effective range

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659