Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

McMillan stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

McMillan stock

I was curious what everyone's time frame has been for a McMillan stock. I have a custom rifle apparently built but the stock my smith ordered is a no show. I have entered my 6th month waiting.

I was told that the stock due back in April was delayed due to McMillan getting a bad batch of materials and havent heard anything since. Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: McMillan stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
I was curious what everyone's time frame has been for a McMillan stock. I have a custom rifle apparently built but the stock my smith ordered is a no show. I have entered my 6th month waiting.

I was told that the stock due back in April was delayed due to McMillan getting a bad batch of materials and havent heard anything since. Has anyone else heard of this?
I don't know about anything regarding materials but their customer service is usually pretty good. I think 16 weeks is the norm maybe a little better but 6 months is too damn long. Did you order it or the Smith?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

The smith. It's the smith telling me the reason it's not complete is because they are waiting on the stock to come in and that McMillan got a bad batch. That's why I was wandering if anyone else had heard this. Starting to think I'm getting jerked around by my smith.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like a delay tactic for the smith or maybe he didn't order it for a while after he started. I ordered one three days ago for my wife's 257 Roberts so I really can't help you...yet. Mountain Rifle McSwirly Savage L/A. The guys on the 24 Hour Campfire order them all of the time and I have heard nothing about it taking forever or I would have ordered a Manners S/L Hunter instead.

Machinist are notorious procrastinators with frivilous stuff like a stock, coatings, or such extras. They don't meet time lines very well generally speaking from years of commercial interaction with them.

That is part of their make up and what makes their work so good. If you know the work is going to be first class, check back from time to time to keep your stuff on his radar but you are in too deep now to annoy him.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

I kinda figured the same and would rather wait and it be done right just sucks thinking I would have it two months ago. It hasn't been long enough for me to be to worried yet. The Thing is that my brother n law lives right next to the shop and has told me that he has personally seen the rifle built just lacking the stock. But I agree I think they forgot to order right away.

This waiting game sucks ha
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Which stock did you order? Sako Hunter, A-5, Mountain Rifle etc.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

It's the A-5 for Remington 700 for 338 Norma