Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

McMillan A5 for 270 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
SPONSOR

McMillan A5 for 270 AM

I've decided that the Choate on my 270 AM has to go.

I already have an A5 on my 300 RUM and love it. It is just the basic package, no extras.

My question is, if money is not a limiting factor, what options should I get on this thing? I know I want some type of cheek piece (which one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) and an accessory rail for a bipod. Other than this I don't know. Should I get it pillar bedded?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B.J.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: McMillan A5 for 270 AM

B.J.:

Iíve got an A-5 coming from Kirby on my 7mm AM. I went with the thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece, fixed length of pull, 2 flush cups for swivels and one stud up front for Harris bipod and a Pachmayer Decelerator pad. I almost went with 2 additional flush cups on the side but didnít. They can be added later if the urge hits me.

Inlet for appropriate action, barrel and bottom metal and add the finish, if desired, of your choice. Glass bedded with pillars.

I opted out on the rail as Iíve had problems with rail accessories coming loose and didnít want to contend with that any more.

You can add just about anything like adjustable LOP, adjustable butt plate, different cheekpiece, rails and on and on. Good luck with whatever you choose. You already know you'll like it, you just need to get all the bells and whistles you want up front. That'll be a tough looking rig with a new A-5 on it. Also, if you want it before next hunting season you'd better get it ordered. McMillan is way behind with their stocks and that's causing a lot of problems for some people.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 PM
SPONSOR

Maybe I'm stupid, but what are flush cups for swivels?

You may be right on the rail. A stud would do all I need. I do need to be able to carry it w/a sling, w/the bipod attached. I hate how the bipods dig into your back. Maybe some studs on the side?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

They are cups mounted flush with the surface of the stock that utilize detachable swivels. These are just some pics from the web, but it shows the side mounts. Note the Pod-Loc on the Harris. Something to consider if you don't already use one.

See them "here"
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
SPONSOR

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Definatley something to consider. My Choate has some studs on the side. I think I'll try attaching a sling to them and see if it makes the thing a little more comfortable to carry.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, i know where those pics came from [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bill -- if you are getting an adj CP i would talk to Terry Cross about his Mod.

Flush cups are nice, and id get them bottom and side.

Michael's makes the swivels that go in them, and Mike Miller at Tacticalintervention.com makes the slings in the pic, and designed the rifle in the 2nd two pics. Mike can also hook you up with swivels if you get a sling from him.

The A5 is tough to beat for a field stock.

JB
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

You might even want to consider a "VERSA-POD MOUNTING STUD"
which, mounts permanently into the forend. This uses the the versa-pod bipod, check it out on the mcmillian web sight under accessories. Just another option.