Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

this may sound dumb but???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 PM

this may sound dumb but???

My dad is not a true long distance champ but has been shooting and reloading for the last 25? years. Although our hunting load has been the same for 15 years. He really knows his rifles and I watched him down three deer 265, 355, and 461 yards with his old BAR 3006 phrone on a single sandbag in one day. he is firmly agianst cleaning the barrel of a rifle. we will shoot a "cleaning round" once every 3 days early in the mourning befor driving to our stand. I know there is a big difference in shooting 300 yards and 700 yards but we both shoot better than the average bear. I highly respect yall and your abilitys I just bought a model 700 in 7mm rem and it is turning out to be a real shooter (save the cheap buckmasters scope hey Im poor and in college).what are yalls thoughts on this. He says that when he cleans the barrel it will take 4 or 5 shots before the rifle "settles" back in? No flames here please, I try to learn from my dad as much as possible then expand from there making my own choices in life. he knows much more than I do but I under stand there are other schools of thought.
Thanks,
Sigep538
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: this may sound dumb but???

sig,
You can't argue with your Dad's results. Unless you have a super premium custom barrel, a couple or three fouling shots is customary.

I have a 222 that I can't remember the last time I "cleaned" it. I run a patch through it when I feel its necessary but that's about it. It hasn't changed POI, accuracy or anything else in that time. It still gets the yotes as far as a 222 is supposed to.

However, with my other guns that are for long range hunting I clean down to bare metal every 20 or 25 rounds. After break in and sighting in, 25 rounds may be a long time as the rifles are intended to shoot only game except for some major rock bustin'.

HTH
Old 12-14-2006, 11:41 PM

That makes sense we shoot 1 308 winchester model lets not even discuse acc here the handload is a 125 serria sp and drops deer nicely out to 250 yds, does a lot of damage but requires no tracking(2.5 moa is ugly)my woods gun. He shoots a BAR for this, just let the dogs run a deer by us. The others are 7mm rems and we use these in box stands with a sandbag. Like I said we are not experts, and I am trying to expand my knowledge. I here other people cleaning their barrels all the time, they call me a moron for not until i out shoot them(frat brothers). On the contrary I clean my turkey barrel after EVERY shot, it makes a 40 pellet differance. This makes me wonder?? I only was wanting to ask people who know alot more than i do!
Thanks,
Sigep538
Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

As mentioned, with factory barrels this is not overly uncommon to have to put a few rounds down the tube to get things to settle in good.

With a custom match barrel this is rarely needed. One round to burn the oil out of a barrel after cleaning is generally all that is needed and your good to go.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com