Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A MAX for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A MAX for hunting?

There is a responsiblity for every hunter to know his limitations when hunting game. If you can shoot at long range and have one shot kills then thats one form of hunting. Just because a rifle can shoot over a country mile does not mean the shooter can. But it is still Hunting! I enjoy the challenge of short range hunting, that is why I bow hunt. I also enjoy the decepline and challenge of long range hunting. Either way you owe it to the game to do your homework before you go out.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Sheldon you are welcome in Texas anytime as long as you bring the linguinie and some of them fine CIGARS, make sure that the border people know you are Canadian. Then come on down. Austin, Tx is a booming place along with a lot of other good places.

Now with Toyota coming to San Antonio you could do well in Texas.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Texas.

That would be my first choice. I have been down there a couple of times and I may be visiting again this spring. I might need to pay a visit to one of my clients, who has invited me to go shooting hogs at night from the top of a surbaban using MP5 machine guns. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It's not long range, but can you say, "KEWL?!?" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Is his name Bob and does he sell real estate?
Great place for kids to grow up only place I would give up my state hood for would be Alaska.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:03 AM
Writers Guild

Have done some expansion tests and compared to Nosler BT, and J4 match. All 165gr out of a WBY (3100fps). AT 70yds, the BT went through 3 gallon milk jugs, the others two. So at an impact vel of over 3000fps, the amax stays together to take out most grass eaters.

The "hydrostatic" shock was amazing. Pieces of jug were thrown up to 10 ft.

Other test was with my 308 and 155gr AMax. Muzzle vel at 2850fps, range 385yds. Bullet blew a nice clean 5/8" hole through a 5/16" mild steel plate. Didn't think I needed to prove that point again.

At LR, those AMAx are going to work just fine for broadside/shoulder presentations. If still concerned, use the new SST and your issues are over. The SST's are also very accurate and even higher BC then the AMax - comparing 165SST and 168Amax.

Jerry