Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A MAX for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: A MAX for hunting?

DC, I read some of the archives last night and I would have never guessed an A-MAX would go through the shoulder of an elk at that range, I always thought a match type bullet had such a thin jacket and on impact they just disinegrate, man, you learn something new every day on this forum. But would you still suggest that bullet for lets say a 708 in the woods of WIS. or out to 200yds, you know if a guy just wanted to try it out on a WT? J [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

But the mark of an hunter is his ability to get close to the game... That is undisputed among hunters. If you desagree your not an hunter - your just a marksman.

I take exception with that statement, and as far as I'm concerned it's just another argumentative line of statements from someone not willing to listen or learn. Change your ways and I'll respond to your posts. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Caste not your pearls unto swine come to mind. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Brent.
Another foot in the mouth. All of us have hunted to try and get as close to game as we can at one point or another in our hunting careers.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

Dachs welcome to our world. Just remember the only stuipd question is the one not asked!

The members around here get a little up tight [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] when someone tries to impose fiction over facts. Not everyone started out shooting LR we had to start somewhere and learn as we went along.

Like someone else stated the mfgs will give you guide lines so that they don't get sued! If you check some loading manuals using the same bullet you might find different max loads. Don't get me wrong all the knowledge on this board is almost beyond belief. We are greatful to FOUNDERS for starting this site with the thought of people learning to do this RIGHT with little trial and error.

Somewhere along the line we may all have said something to offend or straight out criticize someone that knew better. There are places and times when you can't get as close as we would like too, so we have to try to make the shot as cleanly as possible.

DC,Boyd,338 Laupa and many others have posted pictures of animals shot with match bullets doesn't leave much to be desired [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img], except to be on the giving end.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:34 PM

Brent and Matt. IŽll stand by that line unless the situation or the game makes it impossible to get any closer. The idea of safe shooting is to get as close as possible. If you choose to shoot at long range just for fun - it is marksmanship - NOT hunting. You does not HUNT the game - you just shoot at it. That does not necccerary aquire any hunting skills at all.

There is no need to argue with me on that issue. I will not "learn" anything else.

To everyone else whom accepted my appologuise.. Thank you very much. IŽll do my best learning about LR - asking questions. Practicing it on game is not my intention. But I would probably have great advances in sticky situations if I can master some of your skills. Now I better surfe around this site some more - just to keep my nose down for a while...
Old 03-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Jay

The 2100 yard shot was done with a 300 Gr 338 Match King Sierra.

I have used the 7mm A-Max (aluminum tip) in my 7mm/300 Weatherby with tremendose success out to 1500 yards. The plastic tips work VERY well in my 7mm/300 Weatherby too
Yes, it can be used at closer range also.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

My, my. I must say - 10 minutes past the war deadline and this was *still* a VERY interesting thread. 3 glasses of fine wine and a big plate of my special linguinie with clam sauce (with half a litre of whipping cream and a whole brick of fresh parmesan) made it all the more palatable. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I could see that Dachs was from Norway, and was just waiting for the onslaught of the regulars, each counter-flaming with their own exuberant and characteristic manner. This was quite entertaining! Thank you all, and welcome Dachs. Cheers!!

P.S. Where the %$#@ are all the BOMBS already?!? I am thoroughly embarassed to be Canadian tonight. I apologize on behalf of my country.

P.P.S. Any room down there for one more?