Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A MAX for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 11:46 PM

Re: A MAX for hunting?

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 03-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Bronze Member

I have to agree with the "in favor of" crowd. I have only used 6.5MM A MAX 140's and they are lightning on mule deer. I killed a buck with a neck shot that never touched the spine or any major arteries. Fell on the spot and never moved. Baseball sized exit. Great accuracy. I quit using these bullets because they were causing higher pressures in my rifle. It wasn't worth the trade off. I loved 'em just couldn't justify 'em. Shoot and enjoy.
Dave.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Dachs...

Jeez guy, you made a hell of an entrance for a FNG that's been here for a week!

This is a site for "real" information, which you obviuosly don't have on the subject of A-Maxs.

Bullet makers give "recomendations" based on the average woods hunter, not the skilled longrange hunter.

I would also sugest you not give your opinion on shooting game past 300 yds, cuz on this website, 300 yds is considered "short range".

CatShooter

LRH member #23
Old 03-19-2003, 03:43 AM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] jup... heres the troll again.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

IŽll try to the best of my ability to explain what I mean. I somewhat stand corrected [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In my country this is not an option. It is an offence to use bullets design for paper on Big game. There is also an offence to even try LR-hunting - UNLESS you hit deadly every single time. Shots may not be fired unless you are absolutely shure that the bullet will hit deadly.

Therefore we have only short range hunting. Therefore I shout off my mout without any experience with the bullet or LR-hunting.

So you are right... I stand corrected.
I will try out a-max (not on game) and do some experience before I shout out again.

But the mark of an hunter is his ability to get close to the game... That is undisputed among hunters. If you desagree your not an hunter - your just a marksman.

But - speaking for my self - I am facinated about LR. Hitting an small target from great distances. Would like to try that - but that is not possible on game if I want to stay within the laws.

Even trying to do this would get me in trouble amoung hunters. Close friends of mine would hit me over the head wondering if I lost my head. You just dont do that. ItŽs too dangerous - chance of wounding is greater than killing.

There is big cultural differences between you an my country when it comes to hunting.

Anyway.. sorry about shouting off. IŽll strain myself in the future - not for your sake, but for not looking like a fool every single time I posts...

So please accept my appologises... There will not be another post like that.

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: Dachs ]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:23 AM
PUBLISHER

Dachs

Let me also say I am sorry. I was a little impatient yesterday. Welcome to our site! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Dachs

For added information here.

The animals react totally different when hit at Longrange compared to short range.

When animals are hit at LR, "even with a non fatal wound", will just lay down and not run as they would when you shoot at them and make the same hit at close range.
The muzzle blast is the reason the animal runs when "you" (short range) make a non lethal hit. The animal is scared to death and running for his life. Adrenalin is the cause.

When we make that shot the noise factor is eleminated, the animal heard nothing and absorbed the full energy of the bullet in a relaxed state and it will just lay down.
Have seen it many times. At that point we will put another shot into it for the kill if it's not dead from the first shot. That takes about 10 seconds or less for the second shot.

Was wondering, what country are you in that there are no Longrange capabilities or is it that nobody knows about it?

Please read the many previous posts concerning longrange hunting and you will learn. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

DC
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 AM

I live in Norway. We dont have any long range shootingranges. If we have I would not know where. We have alot of 100 m/200/300 meter shootingranges.

Hunters do they training on 100 meters.

Unfortunately we had an conviction in Norwegian Supreme Court couple of months ago - wich strikes hunters bad. We can not endanger any animal for the risk of getting wounded. If so happens (wounding), there must not be the range, the lightconditions or your lack of training wich is the factor. I must be another factor causing the wounding - else you breake the law.

YouŽll only RISK getting prosecuted. You may shoot animals at pitch black night on whatever range you choose, but it must be deadly. Even if you miss a shot and the game walks away you can be prosecuted for careless hunting.

Technically you break the law every time you go hunting - because everytime you endanger the game of suffering.

Last year I shot a roedeer at 200 meters. Perfect hit - straight trough the heart. My lawyer was hunting with me. When he saw the range he opened his eyes WIDE and wondered how I could make myself shooting at that range. The risk was to great.

Well.. he fires about 30-50 rounds a year with his pice - I fire over 1.000 rounds. I "know" my weapon better. I know the ballistic - and I knew I would hit.

But.. what IF....?

So I better learn a lot about LR so I never fires a round that "maybe" hits the game. I must know.

Now I need two things...
1. LR-weapon...
2. BIG long field...

Still searching...