Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A MAX for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A MAX for hunting?

Dachs

First, This is a "Longrange hunting" forum.

Many of us have used several types and manufacturers bullets over the past 30 or more years and have seen the effects each have on game.

If you think the A-max or the Sierra MK does not expand going through game, think again. They are BOTH excellent bullets for killing game especially at extended range or any range in between.

If you have experiance with Longrange hunting and kills on game from deer to elk or moose, please contribute.

If not, you might want to consider reading the archives and see what has been written concerning the bullets used and the distance the kills have been made.

It seems from your post that you have been a short range hunter/shooter and really don't know to much concerning LR hunting.

A max and Sierra Match Kings work extremely well on game and I have experiance out to 2100 yards on elk using the Match King .

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

.. I may be incorrect but I think if you look in the Hornady manual the 162gr AMax is OK'd for use on medium game.. That coupled with the experienced results from this fine crew is good enough for me.. I will be using those and the SST's when the 280AI is ready.. JiNC
Old 03-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

I have used the 6.5 140g Amax and I can tell you that they do expand on game. I also use the 300g 338 SMK with excellent results at long range. I have experiance with these bullets out to 1225 yards on wight tail deer.
Crow Mag
Old 03-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Dachs,

As this is a LR hunting forum, I'm afraid that hitting the target is somewhat important. The AMax bullet is basically like a ballistic tip. Designed for accuracy, yes. However, I'd say that the reason Hornady or Nosler does not reccomend these bullets for hunting has nothing to do with not expecting them to do much dammage. I'd say it's because they expect most people to Eat the thing they shot and I'm afraid that for the masses at close range, a deer shot in the toes with an Amax might not have a whole lot of meat that wasn't hydraulic-shocked. I know that when I use a 22cal Ballistic tip on a deer, 500 yds isn't far enough to not blow it all to hell. They get dead in quite a hurry.

Moreover, If one is worried about wounding a deer, I'd recomend not shooting at em!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>You might hit and just wound an animal because of an non-expanding bullet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that is what you fear, then stay away from the FMJ bullets that so many seem to think make fine hunting bullets. You have obviously never done any ballistic testing with an AMax bullet. I suggest you try some for yourself, and exercise a little caution before making such blanket statements.

Some of us have a great deal of experience in the field, and take a lot of offence to your statements.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:05 PM

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]
Old 03-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

&lt;yawn&gt; oh, hello. I see some one let the troll in [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dachs, this (the subject of whether or not 'match' grade bullets work for hunting or not) has been beaten to death, buried, dug up, stabbed a couple o' times, buried again, and then dug up, shot btwn the eyeballs, and stuffed in a dark alley. Read here
before you go digging it up yet again.

Later,

Monte