Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

A MAX for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

A MAX for hunting?

Stll learning and thanks to all who responded to my first post. Concerning bullet selection for The 7MM WSM, many of you suggested the 162 grain AMAX, however I'm being told by some that Hornady does not recomend these for animals, citing the inabilty to acheive consistent expansion from a bullet meant to punch paper. Is this true? please comment

Also, can anyone tell me if the 160 gr Barnes X would be suitable for LR work (800 to 1000 yds). And while I'm at it does anyone have experience with the Nosler Ballistic Silvertip in either the 140 or 160 gr weights?

thanks for any comments that will keep me on the straight and narrow, at least to a 1000 yrds.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:43 PM

Re: A MAX for hunting?

I can't comment on the 7mm. A-Maxes. But I tried to shoot a 75 grn. A-Max in a 8 twist 22-250, they grouped wonderful, but did NOT expand on groundhogs consistantly. Talked to Hornady and they told me the same thing as they told you. Made for accuracy. Not for expansion. I shot a hog with the A-max, it went thru him and left a 5-6ft. groove in the ground behind him.If you do use them make sure of your backstop. Good Luck, Sam
Old 03-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

I've used them quite a bit on paper, they are one of the most accurate bullets I've found.

I've also used them on quite a few coyotes, out to just over 500 yards. They did a quick job on the coyotes, but I don't like them for broadside shots, too messy, and none to clean under 300 yards with the coyote facing me.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer out to 1,000 yards.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:04 AM

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]
Old 03-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Maelty, I would try the new 154gr Interbond or the 162SST by Hornady, leaning more towards the 162, higher BC, they should do a fine job at longrange. I'll have to agree with Dachs on this one, you should get great accuracy from that 162SST, thats a hunting bullet, if it's anything like the Hornady bullets I've used, excellent accuracy, great weight retention, high B.C., I've always had good luck with Hornady, my bullet of choice now for deer is always Hornady, although, I've shot deer in the past with 150gr Ballistic tips and they do a fine job also, but Hornady has better prices, Nosler/Win. silvertips don't make a 160gr. in 7mm unless it's new for 2003. Good luck or hunting. Jay

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]
Old 03-18-2003, 04:56 PM

Anybody telling you to use a-max for animals is not a hunter. Every hunter with a minimum of brain knows that a-max is not ment to be used on animals.

Im quite shocked over the lack of hunting ability among those kind of people. Its not all about hitting the target. It is a MUST to know what happens after you hit also. Disregarding the quality of your bullets for hunting is an offence. Bullets designed for paper is not allowed on animals. Think twice before you do anything that inhuman. You might hit and just wound an animal because of an non-expanding bullet.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:34 PM
PUBLISHER

Dachs

"""It is a MUST to know what happens after you hit also.""""

Glad to have you share your concern on this issue. Now...can you give any examples of your (or friends') actual experience with this bullet on deer-sized game?

Do you actually "know what happens" when a deer is hit with an A-max bullet?

I do...as do many others on this site. If you don't know from experience and don't care to learn from those with experience then perhaps we shouldn't bother to share our experience with you on this issue.

On this site we tend do deal more with facts and experience rather than mere opinion.

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors