Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Marlim or Winchester?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:51 AM
daveosok

Re: Marlim or Winchester?

I still smell a troll JD.
I wont waste any more of my time unless his posts start to make more sense. I too hope that it isnt a troll sent to us from one of the other forums or activist groups but my gut tells me something different.
Whenever someone uses "I dont be knowing" and calls Marlin rifle company Marlim, doesnt include any info in his profile (not that people who dont are always trolls) leads me to believe that this person could possibly be a troll looking for some laughs at are our expense. The 700 yard shot with either a 30-30 or the 35 are as you put it "BS".
Old 05-01-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Winchester because of it's famous name and the fact that they are collectable. Also it shoots cheap 30-30 ammo. I like the Marlim because it shoots a bigger bullet .35 cal for long distance shooting ( Jug says the Marlins a better shooter, he took a deer at over 700 yards with it once) it it would be easier to mount a scope on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious... some Idiot ( your friend ) tried a shot with a 35 Rem at 700 yards... this is becoming a bit to clear...
[ QUOTE ]
I don't be knowing a lot about these things! Thanks for any advice! Also I'm not much of a shooter, mostly stray cats, beer cans old cars, ect. Mossberg 12ga & JC Higgins .22 automatic (19 shots!). Thought I'd get into the long range hunting after hearing about all the great hunting stories at the local bar. I used to think I could put more meat on the table by working OT on the weekend than driving around in the country chasing deer around.

[/ QUOTE ]

not much of a shooter...AND ...you thought you'd get into LR after hearing stories at a bar...

that is a little disturbing...

ya know what... work your overtime... your mindset doesn't begin to come close to where you need to be...
Old 05-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys! I did learn quite a bit here on long range hunting. After doing some searching and reading I have some new ideas. 1. Rifle Remington model 700 VSF cal 308. 2. Scope Leupold 3.5-10X40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm. 3. Base and rings Badger Ordnance maximized scope rail and either the maximimized or max-50 rings. I suppose I will order a variety of ammo and eventually try loading my own. This is based on reading a bunch of posts on this web site. I know a lot of people are into the custom rifle thing, but I can not afford that, and if I decide on something else I doubt I could get the money invested in a custom rifle, or a lot of gun smithing work back. Comments, other ideas? This a good way to start out?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:40 PM

OK.... if you are for real...

where are you from? How old are ya?

you realize you have about $1200 just in what you mentioned...

the cost for a case of 308 match ammo is about $400
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

wow? i just came here from the bsa scope to badger bases and rings post.someone's definately been into the bottle too much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]drinking the wife's bail money is definately the real answer here.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

What happened to your accent? You learned a lot in a short amount of time. I guess your buddy will have to find another way to get his girl back.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Whats up Gar. You didn't learn all that stuff overnight. You lost the bad english. All you need to do now is spell Marlin correctly once and I will be fully convinced that you are trying to set someone here up for a fall.

If you are interested in learning and sharing information then come clean and stop posting nonscence about going from a lever gun to an SKS and saying that you tried out a fancy foreign gun. You aren't fooling anyone here. You are possibly trying to be sarcastic and funny but you are going to lose alot of respect from those that would rather engage you in meaningful and productive conversation. Better to say what you know and go from there.

Oh, and if the story about your friends wife has even a grain of truth to it he might consider letting her stay exactly where she is until she can pay her way home and maybe she will think twice before running out next time. But I really think I just wrote the last sentence for no good reason.

My signature line should tell you what I think about that "long range" lever gun shot.