Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Sight Picture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Sight Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
#1 What is the optimum number of seconds for your final focus prior to releasing the shot.

Fucus as in concentration, or focus as in optical?

#2 Do you focus your crosshairs by releasing the lock ring on the eyepiece and turning the eyepiece as necessary? What is your actual procedure for doing this?
> +1 on Sludge's method. For paralax use SF, or AO. The reticle absolutely must be seen clearly, that is the base sight alignment, precedes your sight picture, in importance.

I have a few lower end scopes, and adjusting the eye piece focus other than at the range, where zero can be re-verified, is a no-no. The distortion from the poor glass, and lose thread fit on the eye piece, actualy apears to move the reticle.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

#1 how long do I wait before release. I might look at the animal through a scope for quite a while before deciding to shoot depending on circumstances but when its time it isn't long. Maybe a couple seconds max.
#2 To focus your cross hairs I find a blank spot on a house or building with nothing to look at except for the blank wall and then I focus the cross hairs till their clear. I check focus 3 or 4 times and readjust if needed. Once that is done its done. I never have needed to do it in the field unless its a new scope that I have not done this with and find it necessary. If I have a side focus or AO I might move this back and forth till it clears up the sight picture but it should not be necessary to adjust the cross hairs.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM

I have a huge, powerful heartbeat every 2+ seconds that really rattles my sight window, and so I prefer a military take-up trigger and I pull it back when I'm on the target. No surprise, and I have to live with the fact that it is easy to develop bad habits. If I get my angle on a game animal, I wait for the heartbeat, drop the crosshairs in place, and squeeze the trigger.

Most range masters are amazed at how long I can stay in the sight window and still hit the bullseye, but I do not recommend that anyone shoots like me. It is all wrong for everyone else, but best for my limitations.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

For me the sight picture is directly linked to my trigger break. I intensify my focus on seeing just the crosshair(like the front bead on open sights). As this intensity hits max, the trigger breaks. All this occurs in under 5 seconds.

I focus my crosshair with the eyepiece adjustment when I mount the scope and check it before every shooting session visually.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

For me it's all about trigger timeing. I can most of the time call my shots.
I try to go by the rule of take my time in a hurry.
I'm not a target shooter competitively as there are no rifle competition s close to me.

The 2 biggest problems I see with guys hunting is rushing the shot and taking WAY TOO LONG to shoot.
But there is a boat load that I don't know about shooting so.