Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Breathing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Breathing

#1 Please describe your optimum breathing control during the preparation for and actual firing of a shot.

littletoes says "There is a point referred to as the "Normal Respiratory Pause", this pause is the best time to execute your shot." That is precisely what I practice. I originally learned to holding a deep breath half way through a deep breath/exhale routine. I've found that that creates tension within the body and tension adversely affects accuracy.

#2 Any suggestions on gaining control of your breathing if you are breathing deeply from excertion.

Stand fully upright or lay flat on the ground and concentrate on breathing normally. A few deep breaths may help but don't overdo it or you'll hyperventilate - that make matters worse.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
#1 Please describe your optimum breathing control during the preparation for and actual firing of a shot.

littletoes says "There is a point referred to as the "Normal Respiratory Pause", this pause is the best time to execute your shot." That is precisely what I practice. I originally learned to holding a deep breath half way through a deep breath/exhale routine. I've found that that creates tension within the body and tension adversely affects accuracy.

#2 Any suggestions on gaining control of your breathing if you are breathing deeply from exertion.

Stand fully upright or lay flat on the ground and concentrate on breathing normally. A few deep breaths may help but don't overdo it or you'll hyperventilate - that make matters worse.
Are you saying that you still "let out about half" of your breath? If so that is not what I was referring too.
The natural respiratory pause I was referring to, is where your body is at its most natural point, when all normal air has been exhaled out of your lungs, without forcing all of it out.

Do you understand?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletoes View Post
Are you saying that you still "let out about half" of your breath? If so that is not what I was referring too.
The natural respiratory pause I was referring to, is where your body is at its most natural point, when all normal air has been exhaled out of your lungs, without forcing all of it out.

Do you understand?
Yes, sir, I do understand. I apologize if my endorsement for your recommendation was somehow confusing. I believe what I said was that I originally learned to let out half a breath and hold it but have since learned that the natural respiratory pause is a superior technique.
When I re-read my post I believe that's what I see - but I'm not perfect and perhaps my reading interpretation skills have become corroded over time.

The second point I interpreted as having nothing to do with preparation for and actually firing a shot, but simply focusing on how to recover natural breathing rhythms after exertion (like when we've just climbed a steep incline at 8000 feet)

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Having many many years of high performance shooting, breathing technique it becomes automatic reflex.
I'm not even thinking or focusing on when I release the shot.
there are 2 Shooting technique
FIRST - take 2 inhale- pause - release the shot in less then 20 sec.
(good technique giving you lots of time for controlling your hart beat. Eyes getting fatique after 20-30 sec and you have to repeat again if you did not release the shot)
TIME CONSUMING - not as viable on hunting scenarios

SECOND - take 2 inhale - then very slowly exhale- and when you are at the end of exhale - release the shot
VERY FAST shooting technique, good for smokers persons (with small lung volume)
Eyes VISION - Sharp all the time.

To control the hart beating -
Use second Technique take 2 inhale - then very slowly exhale- and when you are at the end of exhale - release the shot
if you can not control the adrenaline - TAKE 2 very deep INHALES - then - 1 half inhale - then - 1 normal inhale - then exhale slowly and release the shot at the end.

with this technique you will notice your hart beating coming down from 90 all the way down below 60.
Below 60 (for some just below 70) is the sweet spot for shot release. (due to bigger CALM Period or Bigger Pause between hart beating)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

I slow my breathing as best as I can, holding somewhere in the middle of an exhale.
Find heartbeat to be a bigger problem in prone position.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM

I guess one more point is appropriate - more in the realm of ethics than breathing, but bear with me.

If I'm WAY exhausted and breathing hard when that big trophy animal appears at long range, I have ONLY ONE OPTION - get closer and rest a while until I can take a shot that has little chance of wounding an animal such that it escapes and dies 2 weeks later of the wound. Only a clean kill is acceptable.

This decision MUST be made BEFORE I can think about my breathing, target acquisition, and trigger sequence.

I absolutely detest hunters who risk an unethical "kill", wounding an animal, making it suffer, because the "might" bag it. Even more so those that just go to kill and leave the animal "for the coyotes to eat". Leaving a carcass with lead fragments kills more animals than the one you shot, and ruins hunting for others. It also gives anti-hunters plenty of political "ammunition" against ethical hunters.

Make the promises to yourself, "I will not exceed my abilities when hunting an animal, I will only hunt animals that are plentiful compared to the expected winter food supply / carrying capacity of the habitat, I will NEVER take an unsafe shot."
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM

I've been a target shooter for the past 8 years and did it in college as well. To calm your breathing you need good cardio. I like sprints and running as hard as I can for as far as I can. As for the cycle itself, in the field you may not have the cycle perfect and using your range breath in the field may throw off your NPA. I take a few deep breaths and then slowly exhale until the sights are where they need to be for the shot whether this is in the middle beginning or end of my breath. NPA is more important than perfect breathing.