Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Breathing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Breathing

#1 Please describe your optimum breathing control during the preparation for and actual firing of a shot.

#2 Any suggestions on gaining control of your breathing if you are breathing deeply from excertion.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Bronze Member

Breathing

The best way to control breathing during firing is to mantain a reasonable fitness level. Cardiovascular exercise and conditioning will strengthen your heart and lungs. It will improve the bodies ability to carry oxygen. This should be a year round program.

Recovering from excertion is best achieved by slow deep breathing while standing. Standing allows the lungs to fully expand. The more air you get into the lungs the quicker you can recover.

When ready to fire, take a slow breath, let it half way out, fire. If you can't fire prior to feeling short of breath, then breathe and repeat.

Randy
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

I take 3 deep breaths and on the last one i shoot just as i run out of breath. I do this in practice to. When laying prone without a rear rest your scope will move with each breath, it is very hard for me to stop half breath and do the same every time. If you shoot at the end of your breath cycle your flat the same every time, but dont go longer than 3 seconds out of breath or you vision start getting blurry.

If you are exausted you can still shoot because your body is trained to take a deep breath and shoot at the end of breath cycle anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Short answer: Avoid excertion if at all possible.

Long answer as it can never be avoided.

1) I agree with Rogue on being in decent shape. bb has a good pointer on O2 transfer in his hunting article. I try to not get huffy and puffy if at all possible. I go very slowly during walk and stalk and very unsuccessfully try to not be tempted to "head them off at the pass".:( I have never ever been successful in heading them off or making a decent shot when I came close.:(

My problem is that when shooting at an animal (a big animal) from a hide with everything fully prepared and just having awakened from a nap, my heart and breathing rate goes up more than most guys that have just jogged over the ridge.:( Even when I think that I'm calm and in control and really relaxed others mention my level of excitement before and during the shot.:(

If exerted and breathing heavy I head for a tree or something use as a rifle rest, drop to a sitting position with the sticks or a prone position with the bipod.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
#1 Please describe your optimum breathing control during the preparation for and actual firing of a shot.
I was taught to focus on the target and the “clarity” of the target using double aperture sights. You breathe normally until you have the correct sight picture and them you hold your breath and squeeze the trigger. If you are slow squeezing the trigger your sight picture clarity will deteriorate and you will need to breathe until you have clarity again and then begin your squeeze again.

The way I was taught by my father and later by my coach was that total absolute concentration on the sight picture is necessary and nothing less will do. When I place the crosshairs on an animal I pretty much go into a controlled trance and everything is on automatic pilot except for the crosshairs. Every last ounce of energy and concentration goes to keeping the crosshairs on target while the trigger is squeezed. Somehow I cannot summons up the same level of desire when the target is paper, so I often just pull the trigger when things are sloppy and halfassed.

Quote:
#2 Any suggestions on gaining control of your breathing if you are breathing deeply from excertion.
Stay physically fit. The reason you are breathing hard is your body wants oxygen and you have not been getting enough exercise to have the lung capacity you need. If you don’t give it oxygen your sight picture clarity will be bad so you are up the creek anyway. Best thing is to breathe as deeply as you can like you were going to dive under water for a few minutes and then at the last few seconds hold your breath and fire. This will give you maximum oxygen for your blood system and to the brain in the shortest time and give the best sight picture and the least problem from your lungs.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Weda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post

deep breath half out and squeeze.... concentrate on your sight picture and target ( POA ) while squeezing. If you need to, take a deep breath and start over.

Heavy breathing is part of hunting.... prior to a pre selected stopping oint I will breath deep while pressing my lips together on exhale to force my lungs to push air out. I will do this for 5-10 times prior to the pre-selected stopping point.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: MARKSMANSHIP BASICS - Breathing

There is a point referred to as the "Normal Respiratory Pause", this pause is the best time to exacute your shot.

Not all can be physicaly fit all the time, yes it is best.

With every breath, with every exhale, there is a pause, this same pause is when most of us talk, we don't talk as we inhale, normaly, and with practice, this same "pause" can be extended to 10 seconds. It takes training/practice.

What is the "pause"? Its the time just after you exhale, and just prior to inhaling the next breath, THAT is the perfect time to pull the trigger, your heart is at its calmest, your pulse (all this can be perfected by position-another thread!).

Clarity of the target can be blamed to the lack of oxgen to your eyes...this can be remedied by "blinking", if you are looking at your target, and it starte to "blur", you need to blink....simple? In other words, don't stare too long! ;)

Last edited by littletoes; 09-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.