Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Marking Your Pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Marking Your Pack?

Last year antelope hunting in WY we dropped our packs several times to put the sneak on critters. A few times we had a heck of a time finding our packs,one buck was beamed out of the area by Scotty back to the Enterprise.
So does anyone have any tips to make them easier to find. I had thought about taking some blaze orange material and putting in on a bush if any or on one of the little metal flag poles diggers hotline use to mark underground pipes.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Marking Your Pack?

Mark their location with a GPS. Most everyone seems to carry one nowdays.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

I have also lost my pack and, being a traditional bowhunter, I've lost my boots as well. I now carry some orange surveyor's ribbon to mark the bushes next to my stuff.
I usually change my socks and put on a heavy pair of wool socks to dampen my sound and cushion my feet against rocks. If I don't have any ribbon with me I'll take my white tube socks and hang them over the bushes above my boots.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Many years ago I decided to camo my 4 wheeler and guess what? (I lost it in the woods and
had to walk back to the road and back track to find it) I felt pretty dumb as big as it was so I started flagging anything near eye level after that .

I also have a friend that laid his rifle down in Colorado and found it the next year while hunting.

The GPS is a good idea and I will do that from now own.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

I was bow hunting in the Monitor mountain range in Nevada several years ago and put my pack down to chase a MONSTER mulie. I figured he was in the 33" to 34" spread range with high and heavy beams and 4 very long points. I had never and have never since seen a buck of that caliber, I was a little excited to say the least. I didn't mark the spot where I set my pack down and had a seriously hard time finding it again. Finally found it just before the sun went down. Good thing because it had my sleeping bag and all my other gear for spending a week on the mountain.
I like the GPS idea.
Never did see that buck again. I spent all week looking for him.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

We carry our packs to our objective and when close find an ORP. Stage our gear and mark it on a GPS. The key is to lay it next to something easily identifiable and then keep looking back at it because that's the way you will most likely be coming back to grab your gear (we may be running) and things can look a lot different from the opposite direction.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

J E CUSTOM lost his 4-wheeler!!! BWWWAHAHAHA. How the hell could he ever.......

Oh wait, I was going to make fun of J E CUSTOM but I did the same thing. Except I had to walk back to camp in the dark and go find it the next day.