Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

LR hunting Rifle standards and practices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: LR hunting Rifle standards and practices

A rifle similar to Shawn's is pretty much what you are looking for. There are many cartridges that would work well, that really just comes down to personal preference. I would trust anything above a 7mm-08 out to a range of 600 yards you mentioned. You really don't need a scope over 10 or 12 power, but it can be nice, and I would suggest a mil scaled reticle and target turrets, not the fudged in ballistic reticles. I do like big heavy barrels, but for lightweight hunting a #4 or 5 will work well.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
I know that yu might have your heart set on a .270, but I would consider a 7mm (just because of the low bc bullet availability vs. what's available in .270) or Shawn's .280.

Kirby is making a 7mm AM for me that will be right around your weight limit. Now, I'm not suggesting the 7mm AM because it's designed for distances a bit further than what your looking at.
I know what your saying on the 7mm...great BC, I would go with a 7mmWSM because I love short actions if that were the case. Thanks for the suggestion. My selection on the 270 is because for my true hunting situations I would be using a 130 grain or 150 grain bullet, mostly the 150 Hornady. The reasoning is to keep the recoil down for the weight of rifle. I could shoot a 140gr 7mm but I don't see the point over a 150 gr .270. I limit my 300WSM to 168gr triple shock because of recoil, and I don't think much of muzzle breaks. I'm trying to stay in the same recoil league, and I believe a 175 grain 7mm is going to go over the edge. The 270 is available 100 gr to 16o grain bullets, and that's good for my intentions.

Now if I were building a heavier rifle I would be all for the next bump. I know the .270 is on the edge, but I love the short action, and I am trying to keep the recoil managable. I have been thinking about the 7mm WSM, but I am worried about if it is discontinued and then having to work brass all the time to 7mm.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
A rifle similar to Shawn's is pretty much what you are looking for. There are many cartridges that would work well, that really just comes down to personal preference. I would trust anything above a 7mm-08 out to a range of 600 yards you mentioned. You really don't need a scope over 10 or 12 power, but it can be nice, and I would suggest a mil scaled reticle and target turrets, not the fudged in ballistic reticles. I do like big heavy barrels, but for lightweight hunting a #4 or 5 will work well.
Kevin--
In scopes do you have some suggestions on reticles that will work in timber, shadows, and lower light situations? I've never had anything besides a duplex, and I am looking at mil-dot, TMR, or just sticking with a regular duplex setup on a Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T with M3 turrets. I like the idea of having a 2.5-3.5 on the lower power so my scope options are limited. I was thinking of holding out on the 2009 Bushnell 6500 with Target knobs, or the Leupold LR/T. I am wanting to have a scope that has low profile knobs not to interfere with a scabbard, it almost seems the LR/T is a no brainer for me.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

I don't think you will feel like you are at a disadvantage with either the Mil-dot or TMR in the timber, especially if you get one with illumination. One scope that you may want to look at is the Night Force 2.5-10x32 with mil-dot or NP-R1. Otherwise I would get the Leupold you mentioned but with the TMR reticle.

The 270 WSM will work fine for you, but if it were me I would go with a .284 win or 7mmWSM. The bigger diameter bullets will give you better efficiency out of a shorter barrel. Plus a 7mm barrel of the same mass will be stiffer than the 270. But of course, we are talking about a very small amount.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't think you will feel like you are at a disadvantage with either the Mil-dot or TMR in the timber, especially if you get one with illumination. One scope that you may want to look at is the Night Force 2.5-10x32 with mil-dot or NP-R1. Otherwise I would get the Leupold you mentioned but with the TMR reticle.

The 270 WSM will work fine for you, but if it were me I would go with a .284 win or 7mmWSM. The bigger diameter bullets will give you better efficiency out of a shorter barrel. Plus a 7mm barrel of the same mass will be stiffer than the 270. But of course, we are talking about a very small amount.
It doesn't appear that the NP-R1 is available in the compact, just NP-1, NP-R2, FC-2, Mil-Dot
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Sorry, I guess I meant NP-R2.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin

I have a 7mm WSM with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 VX3 leupold that has a # 6 Lilja contour
barrel that I use for a carry rifle in colorado for Elk, It weighs 10.5 lbs and has no
muzzel break.

I load a 160 gr accubond @ just over 3000ft/sec and that gives me right at 1500
ft/lbs of energy at 600 yrds.enough to dispatch an Elk at that distance.

For the longer shots I rely on the 338 RUM in a 13 lb rifle good to 1100 yrds with
suggested 1500 ft/lbs of energy.

The point is for the range you want to shoot the 7mmWSM would be a good choice
with minimum recoil and a great bullet selection .

And if you want to go Yote hunting then you can load the 120gr to 3400+ and waste
any varment.

The short action makes the rifle a little more manageable with a 26" barrel.

And as far as brass , with the 300 WSM and the 270 WSM avilable If it did become
hard to get those can be sized for the 7WSM.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM