Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Lower Adrenalin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lower Adrenalin

Take a look at Lanny Bassham's Mental Management books and seminars, specifically, "With Winning In Mind." It's about mental preparation for competitive shooting, but equally applicable here. Truly incredible stuff, and once you start hearing some of his stories concerning mental failures (too much adrenalin) in competitive shooting, and ways to overcome this, it'll make all the sense in the world to you.

Apologies in advance here, but yeah, I'm a true believer in his system and methods.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lower Adrenalin

When I was a smoker and I got stressed, I would grab a cigarette and smoke it slowly. That action of taking slow deep breaths help to create a calmness within myself. Now that I have quit (8yrs, thanks to my wife) I have been able to use the same type of method in my shooting discipline. I watched a guy that is sniper/operator in Iraq and Afghanistan. One thing he did before pulling the trigger for each shot was take 3 huge deep breaths and exhale them. On the third breath when he exhaled to a certain point he squeezed the trigger. Practicing this helped my groups to shrink. This also help to eliminate the heartbeat movement in the scope. You have approximately 3-5 sec at the bottom of the exhale where all is still. Well at least that is what happens for me.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!