Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Looking for a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Looking for a scope

Brand new to this forum and have found some great reads. A lot to learn here. My qusetion is about scopes. I have the chance to pick up a almost new zeiss 6-24X56 What I haven't seen is any mention of this brand/model. Anything I should know before making this deal?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a scope

Ol'Gator,

Welcome to the board. Its a great bunch of folks who do a bunch of great shootin. A wealth of knowledge here....priceless.

Have a ziess and haven't heard much wrong with them.

I don't know that they have target knobs or how repeatable/accurate the clicks are. This would be good to know if adjusting for different ranges is going to be a factor.

The 56mm should gather the light but may be a bit large and clunky and most probably need some tall mounts.

What's it goin' on? if I could be snoopy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Is it the Zeiss Diavari VM/V? If so it is a great scope. Target turrets, available with lit or non-lti reticle.

SWFA has a pic and pricing.

david.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Roy, yes I wish I'd found this group of folks a long time ago. A wealth of info to be had. Although I have zip experience in long range shooting, I have become very interested in getting involved. I wil be getting my feet wet with a H-S Precision 7mm STW. Thats what the scope is for.

At this point, I hope to come up with a combination that will give me the ability to take game out to 500 yards. I realize this would be a slam-dunk for many of the folks here. Where I hunt 300-500 yard shots are not that uncommon.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

ds, yes that is the scope. I haven't seen it yet but I do know it has lighted Mil-Dot reticle. Honestly, didn't ask about target turrets. Guess I need to check on that.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Ol'Gator, Just getting started out you might consider a reticle that would allow shots out to 600 yds without the target knob turning. As Ian M pointed out in a recent article, a good reticle sighted in correctly can keep you on for hunting purposes. We aren't shooting paper. After 600, too many variables and you then need to click to compensate. I use a mildot system and out to 600 yds, game is in trouble. Much friendlier in the field, and you can use a much smaller scope if you carry a lighter rifle and actually walk. Just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Ol'Gator,

W/the 7STW and decent shooting loads of the 160gr and greater weight it will be a thumper well beyond 5-600 yds.

With the Mil-Dot scope you shouldn't have to worry about clicks till way past 850 or so, depending on a lot of things.

Don't know if that scope has the reticle in the first or second focal plane. If in the first plane, regardless of the power the mil-dot value will be the same.

If its in the second plane then it will be calibrated (1 Mil = 3.6inches) at most probably 10 power which in my opinion and experience is sufficient for most, nearly 100% of shooting. But if you want to zoom up to max power for definition of a small target or zoom down in low light conditions the mil value changes proportionately with power.

That'll drive ya nuts [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] At least it does me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Other than that just about everything about a Carl Z is pretty good.

I had a 2nd focal plane scope and could keep track of things unless there was game in the field of view then I kind of went bonkers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Switched to a decent 1st focal plan scope and life got good, well......at least better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]