Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range Shooting Instructor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Re: Long Range Shooting Instructor

Great tip - I'll reach out to him. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Texas is a big state. I'm not sure where Kingsville is located in relation to DFW, but rifles only is reported to be quite good. Here's the link:

Rifles Only

Lots of good write-ups over on Snipershide.com. I believe they sponsor their annual shoot.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

+1 on rifles only. But there are a few in the North Texas area where he is located.

My $0.02: The biggest thing with any of them is to have yourself squared away - especially on range rules - before you go. Don't worry about your abilities - that is why you are there. Humility and a willingness to learn what you paid for will go a long way. A lot of these guys get phone calls from wannabe "snipers", internet "experts" who want to argue, various classes of morons and others who want to haggle about the price of classes (not wanting to accept that good training can run as high as a rifle) so they tend try to filter out these issues up front. It is good to understand that when you call and you realize that you are not the only one asking questions.

Last edited by tlk; 01-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Another for Shawn Carlock!!! Great class!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

I know its a long ways, but another vote for the shawn carlock defensive edge class. I have taken the class, and I personally know 4 others who have taken the class. by the end of the second day in each one of the classes me and my friends were involved in everyone in the class was making hits out to around 1000 +yds.

With shawn or his dad calling the wind/conditions, everyone would be making hits!
they do teach the skill behind shooting and you will find with thier instruction, shooting is the easy part.

the class is also focused on teaching you how to read the wind and call a shooter, or yourself onto target.

I went to the class thinking i was going to learn to shoot longrange and couldnt wait to get behind the gun. i quickly learned that what i was really thier for was to learn how to read condtions etc. with the right calling of the conditions hitting the target became a peice of cake!

I believe that by the end of the second day of class (as long as your gun is capable and you have the equipment necessary) you would feel confident out to 800 +yards on mild weather/conditions day and out past 1000 on a no wind day. since the class i have made 1st round hits up to 1650 yards. i took the class last june or july, and in september i shot a bear at 1065 yds, and in october. a nice 6x6 bull elk at 603 yds. my wife went out shooting with me on a regular basis and she shot a cow elk at 535 yards.

it would be worth the travel time and distance for sure.

Last edited by lamiglas; 01-13-2011 at 12:25 AM.