Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long range scope

Put a nightforce on it. They are a great scope that you can depend on
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
Put a nightforce on it. They are a great scope that you can depend on

++1
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

if you can afford nightforce, its a no brainer. If your budget is under $1k then the PST or HSLR models from vortex is the way to go. I have a PST 2.5-10x44 on a .243 that works very well to 1K.
The XLR reticule that was previously mentioned is an AWSOME reticle. I am waiting for it to make its way into the PST line up and then I will buy two.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Just my 2 cents...

For those of you looking and who use a FFP mil reticle and are hell-bent on Nightforce, you really should look into the Horus Falcon or Horus Raptor. If you don't like FFP then the Horus Predator might be for you, It comes with the MOA reticle. Save a few dollars and get an incredible scope with the reticle of your choice. Nope, I don't sell 'em or get a kick back.. I just own one! lol

Check 'em out!

Good shooting fellas!

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Horus has hit the nail on the head in one aspect, and totally dropped the ball on another. IMO they are the leaders in reticule design and have brought a hole slew of great ideas to the table. Being able to get past 1k with a just a reticule, and to do it fast, is an accomplishment.
Where they really need to pick up their socks is on the turret end of things. Turrets are nice, practical and the worlds best use them... for a good reason. For me they allow a solid hold ate any range without getting lost in my reticule when I have the time. The reticle is a great back up and ranging/estimating tool.
I feel that with the way the market is now, there is no reason for a scope at the $750 mark not to have good turrets, a good reticule and a decent piece of glass. for me this is the PST line from Vortex.
The XLR reticule really looks like a not-so-busy Horus knock off.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

If your budget is much less than all the previous mentioned I would look at the fixed power SWFA's. $300 and they hold zero and repeat click very accurately for the money. Best "bang" for you buck on a budget as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

The first thing to be considered when scope "shopping" should be the intended target.

Deer/elk?? Then you don't need a 5 million power scope....700 yards can be easily done with nothing more than a 10 power scope. And to make it easier, it can be done with a Luppy TMR reticle, of something like it.

Too many folks get bought up on "super-power" scopes, that call the Hubble telescope their father, yet folks have making shots of these types for years with less.

Don't get me wrong, I like the big scopes too, but if you want a mountain rifle, and weight MUST be a consideration, then yes, a Luppy "M" series scope with a TMR reticle, will definitely get 'er done.

Now, if we're talking about long shots at ground-squirrels, then lots of power on a big scope will definitely be needed.

Again, for deer & elk.....don't tell me it can't be easily done with nothing more than 10 power, it can.