Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range Hunting Rifle + Calibre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Rifle + Calibre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DC- View Post
Thanks all for the warm welcome and great advice. I have decided on a rifle and calibre now. Yes I have changed my mind completely, but its what I originally had in mind. I’m getting the Savage 10FCP in the McMillian stock. This is obviously in no means a light rifle. I thought long and hard about it, and since I will only be shooting Coyotes, Wolves and paper for the next year(until big game season), I will have time to save for my next true light weight “hunting” rifle. I’m considering purchasing both rifles now, but will probably just wait. The light hunting rifle will most likely be a Sako A7 in .270 or 30-06 topped with Leopold glass. I am still thinking out my options for my long range rifle‘s glass, but will probably go with a Nightforce and try not to lose sleep over the cost. Thanks again all for the advice.

Dave
DC....Although it sounds as though your mind is made up, let me try to sway you a bit. The 270 and the 30-06 are nice but.....

- 270 bullet selection and BC is not great.

- 30-06 has great bullet selection, but the '06 case is not the most efficient for long range shooting.

If you like the 30 caliber, the 300WSM would be a better choice. And instead of the 270, think about a 7mm like the 7mmWSM or 280Rem. You get great bullet selection and great BCs with the 7's.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
DC....Although it sounds as though your mind is made up, let me try to sway you a bit. The 270 and the 30-06 are nice but.....

- 270 bullet selection and BC is not great.

- 30-06 has great bullet selection, but the '06 case is not the most efficient for long range shooting.

If you like the 30 caliber, the 300WSM would be a better choice. And instead of the 270, think about a 7mm like the 7mmWSM or 280Rem. You get great bullet selection and great BCs with the 7's.
.280fan, Not sure if you understood mypost. The Savage will be in .308(only choice) and the Sako was going to be in .270 or 30-06, but I may stay with both in .308 for reloading purposes. The Sako calibre is undecided right now, I may even go with a 300 win mag, we'll see... its not really a long range hunting gun, just a light weight rifle for long backcountry hunts. The Savage will be my long range target/ hunting rifle.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Welcome to the amazing world of guns and hunting Dave!

Great choice on the Savage. If you spend some time around here and on the Savage Shooters website you will see how easy it is to change your own barrels on a Savage. Many inexpensive factory takeoff barrels out there so you can try out any caliber your heart desires at that particuler time for $50.-$125. Requires an inexpensive action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. Add a few minutes and some practice and you will be changing barrels with the best of them without gunsmithing costs and waiting time.

Though you quote the 308 which is a good first choice caliber, the 284 Winchester will readily fit in that action as will the will the W inchester S uper S hort M ag's and the other W inchester or R emington S hort M ags.

Yes with the short fat cases one needs a bolt alteration. The 284 uses the same sized bolt head. ALas, again you are in luck both in price and easy of changing the Bolt head. One can change Savage boltheads very cheaply and in five minutes without special tools or machining. On the Savage you can quickly go from 223 Remington too 375 Rum with a simple remove the allen head screw at the back of the bolt, pull the cap, blast shield and bolt off. Pull the firing pin assembly,knock the head pin out and put another on and just reassemble in reverse order.

Good choice and have fun

Neal
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DC- View Post
.280fan, Not sure if you understood mypost. The Savage will be in .308(only choice) and the Sako was going to be in .270 or 30-06, but I may stay with both in .308 for reloading purposes. The Sako calibre is undecided right now, I may even go with a 300 win mag, we'll see... its not really a long range hunting gun, just a light weight rifle for long backcountry hunts. The Savage will be my long range target/ hunting rifle.

I understood your post that one of your rifles would be in 270 or 30-06. My post was an attempt to sway you towards calibers that are more efficient, have more/better bullet choices and better BCs.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
I understood your post that one of your rifles would be in 270 or 30-06. My post was an attempt to sway you towards calibers that are more efficient, have more/better bullet choices and better BCs.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t quite sure. I was thinking the 30-06 because of the different grains available (up to 220) and the low cost on ammo. Considering it’s a hunting rifle and won’t be shot the majority of the time,(little ammo used) and at no longer than 500 yards on game, I may go with the 7 Rem Mag like I thought of going with in the first place. If you have any other opinions feel free to let me know. Keeping in mind this ammo could be reloaded, but for little amounts most likely store bought. Again, sorry for jumping the gun... Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

just my take, but i hunted with an '06 for 17 years and killed everything i needed to from sage ratts to deer elk bear etc. There are better calibers for bigger game and better cals for smaller game, but you asked for opinions on what would bennifit you now and in the futre and said you were interested in hand loading in the future. my opinion the 30-06 is the most (versitile while still forgiving) for anyones first rifle.JMO. young or old almost everyone i know has an '06 or two with piles of stories to tell around the fire. .30 cal has a HUGE bullett selection with factory ammo and for handloads. not to mention the old saying "big enuf to take down anything in north America". altho not my first choice for grizz or for sage ratts, the light recoil makes them more fun to shoot alot thus giving incentive to shoot more. and ammo is cheap. that being said, 7mm and 300wm shoot flatter and may hit harder,on both ends. I look at it this way, even if you decide to buy a magnum later, the '06 is a handy do all rifle. Mine has its place in the safe behind all my latest greatest "wiz bangs", but unlike all the newer ones, the '06 earned its right to be there. I still fondle mine and take it out now and then for ol times sake and it feels like a good saddle, or broke in pair of boots. just fits right.
just my opinion. good luck

sorry, just re-read your origional post, 30-06 out to 500yds.....ya....but 1000yds, youd better shoot alot and hand load and be damn good to down a critter at this range. & im not. im sure theres some guys on here who are, but im sure they shoot quite a few rounds a year in lots of conditions and know thier equipment intimately.
i apologise for not being thurogh the first time.

JMO,30-06 great 1st do all rifle. Maybe not so great 1st choice at extended range.

someday id like to be good enuf to push my 300wby to 1000yds, i know it will do the job, but im still mastering 600 on paper so to 400+or- on critters for me, but im relitively new to "long range" and my pockett book and personal ability havent caught up to my imagination yet. but thats just me. sorry for the lengthy SNAFU

Last edited by winmag; 01-09-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: just re-read your origional post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Welcoem to LRH DC,

You've already got a lot of good advice and I'll add this. Bottom line, the bigger and more powerful the cartridge, the more effective a killer it will be and the farther down range you will get. For elk size game i would recommend at least a 30 cal although well placed shots with smaller calibers can be effective. You may have some tracking to do.

Sako usually puts out good rifles but not always and their guarantee is worthless. I know because I got one of their lemons and have sent it to the factroy twice now with them sending it back twice saying there is nothing wrong with it. It's a Sako M85 Finnlight 300 WSM and it shoots about 2-4 MOA. Once you buy a Sako or a Tikka, you're stuck with it and they aren't easy to bed and there are no aftermarket stocks other tham mcmillan to get for them. They have a proprietary recoil lug system that makes stock bedding very challanging.

I would strongly suggest looking at Sub MOA Vanguard or Savage instead and if you're really interested in LR, look at the more potent cartrides like the WSMs or Rem Mag ro Win Mag, etc.

Good shooting and hunting

Cheers,

Mark