Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range Hunting Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Bullets

Jerry and speedbump,

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I agree, practice is part of the equation. I was wondering, what do you use for gongs? I have the range, but what is your source of gongs/metal plates for LR shooting. The only thing I can think of that might be suitable is a manhole cover! Any target suggestions?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 PM

I also suggest 156 cauterucio.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Writers Guild

Visit a metal fabrication shop or scrapyards, and look for cutouts or scrap. I use pieces from 5/16" to 1/2" mild steel depending on distance. Size to suit your needs. You can then build a swinging stand or just weld on some legs and post into the ground.

They will get beat up with time so be prepared to replace every now and then.

Jerry
Old 08-24-2003, 07:42 AM

The_Mountaineer,

Go to the local steel shop, I bought a piece of 1" thick steel plate that was 24"x36" for $33, it weighed 333lbs, so it wasn't real easy to move around. I cut it into a couple targets, some 6"x6" squares and some human torso 18"x18" chest with a 6"x6" head. I welded some 2 3/8" pipe to the back and made a t at the bottom from same. I stick a couple fence t-posts in it and have a good base. I shoot them all the time, the 1" steel doesn't get hurt much, some 8mm surplus I have makes small indentions.

On the matchking question, I shoot em all the time. Shot em out of a .308 Remington varmit in the 168gr loading and they worked fine. Took a nice size Texas whitetail with them and countless feral hogs, never had a problem. I don't remember the exact loading but it was a case full of Varget and was putting em out right around 2850fps from a 26" barrel. The whitetail was a fluke, I was watching a sendero and he came out about 5yds away, I shot at about 15yds right behind the shoulder. You couldn't tell heart from lung when you opened the chest up. The hogs it did the same under 200yds, but outside of that I normally got pass throughs, I never shot over 500yds with that set-up, just didn't have a place to at that point in time.

I just bought a Sendero in .270 win and am going to be shooting some 135gr sierra in front of H1000 and hitting right around 2900fps, i'll let you know how it goes on critters.

Steve
Old 08-24-2003, 06:00 PM

Good discussions! I'll add my 2 cents. I just acquired a 7 RUM this year and have my load worked up. I can't remember where, but somewhere on this forum there have been discussions on loads. I'll give you mine. Also, I have corresponded with another 7 RUM enthusiast and this load worked for him as well:

Nosler Ballistic Tip 140 grain bullet. This makes me a little nervous inside 250 yards, but after that should be perfect. I suggest something like a Nosler Partition and other similiar controlled expansion bullets if you plan on 250 and under. But you probably won't since you have a 7 RUM I suspect and will long range it. Nosler doesn't have a 140 new Accubond bullet out yet. Hornady's new 139 Interbond is not in production yet. These may prove to be fine hunting long range bullets as well.

Reloader 25 = Books say maximums of like 92 grains, I think. 95-97 grains is not out of the question, if you ladder up and keep an eye on pressures, as they can spike quickly. I have tried quite a few other powders, all had disappointing velocity at maximums, with this 140 grain/weight bullet.

Federal 215 magnum primer.

Seat for maximum magazine length, since you have some freebore.

Velocity at 95-97 grains, if pressures are okay, should be in the range of 3450-3500 f.p.s.

Accuracy, of course depends on you, your optics, gun, and your load, but I bet .5"-1" will not be out of the question, or better possibly at 100 yards.

It is great advice to shoot at the longer ranges and good practice as well. I have shot a great group at 400 yards off Harris short bi-pod, prone and back end on back pack. And the group size was smaller than the math tells you. Meaning, 1" at 100 does not necessarily mean 4" at 400. I suppose bullet spin, stabilization, etc. all factor in to surprise yourself. Others on this forum I'm sure could shed more light on this subject.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

P.A.S.S. (pick a spot, squeeze)......
Old 08-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Mountain,
Suggest that when you go looking for steel that you try to get something that is wider than high. Once you get your elevation most of the challenge is wind, so a wider target is good. We use 4 foot wide and two foot high and they are fine. Thickness is somewhat dependant on distance, we are shooting a piece of 1/4" right now at 700 and the .308's are denting it and bowing it but not penetrating. Much easier to handle if you have to move it than 3/8 or 1/2 but any steel thickness can work if you are out far enough. We shoot paper to 400, start using heavier plates at 500 and use the light stuff at 700 and longer. This is with .308's, bigger cartridges will beat up the steel and penetrate much more, but what the hell, it is only scrap steel. Buy some good cans of white spray paint, repaint the bullet splats as required and you can shoot all day. You can easily see bullet splats at 1000 yards on fresh paint.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

St_Gunner, Ian and Highlander,

Thanks for the great gong suggestions. I'm hoping to have them up and running soon. Gotta wait on my welder to get back from the beach. In the meantime, it has been trying out different loads. My initial increment testing from a 24 round broken in barrel gave good groups. 5- shot groups giving about 0.4 inches at 100 yards with H-1000 and those "non-hunting" 168 grain Matchkings [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Further up the scale though my groups started flying apart. SHOULD HAVE DONE THE LADDER TEST [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] if I had known about it before. Boy that trigger was stiff. Once I get that working right, I'll start slinging lead. Actually went out and did some lasing of the ranges on my hunting ground, 700-800 yards is gonna be about the max I'll encounter. Doubt if I'll change the bullet setup so long as accuracy stays good with the 168 MK. Though I did get some 162 A-MAX as well to try. The search continues!

Thanks for all the LR advice for someone new to the ranks!