Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range Hunting Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Bronze Member

Long Range Hunting Bullets

Need suggestions for a good LR bullet for my 7mm Remington Ultra Mag in a Remington Sendero.

From what I've come across, many long range shooters have suggested "match" bullets as well as "custom" bullets. Both of which, I've never used for hunting.

Since the manufacturers of such bullets do not advocate them for hunting, which bullets have performed well for hunting. I'm new to the Long range realm and this is one topic I'm not too sure about. Any info on good suggestions for hunting bullets for my 7mm RUM is appreciated.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:11 AM

Re: Long Range Hunting Bullets

Mountaineer,
I would suggest the 162 grn. Hornady Amax. Yes, Yes , Yes, I know they are MATCH bullets but take it from many on here with experience THEY WORK very well for Long Range applications. If they were a BAD choice the guys on here would not use them.... Also you could try the SMK, JLK, Bergers etc. etc. You will be Very SURPRISED at the way these suggestions perform in hunting situations. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Bronze Member

Jerry, 338-378 and Darryl

Thanks!

Jerry I especially want to thank you for breaking it down ballistically for me. I always suspected the impact velocity of the bullet to be a crucial factor in the design for a hunting bullet. As you mentioned, the LR impact velocities are something that not every manufacturer has taken under their wing to design since most Joe Shooter's keep their shots well under 400 yards. I'll probably buy a couple boxes of the "match" ammo to try out.

Any favorite 7mm RUM loads I should try?
Old 07-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Writers Guild

Mountaineer, impact vel is the critical part of bullet design and why bullets like BarnesX, Failsafes, and a whole host of bonded/partitioned bullets have been engineered. The NA hunter wants bigger and faster so impact vel have steadily increased (hunting distances have not increased though). This has lead to a lot of poor bullet performance and wounded game using conventional bullets. Not the bullets fault, just poor match with cartridge, game, and hunting distance.

These super bullets work very well at elevated impact vel. In fact, they work about as well as conventional bullets at standard vel or cast at slow vel.

If you do try the amax or matchkings, shoot them at wet phone books or steel gongs. At extended ranges, they are going to hit very hard. A friend shoots a 280rem and 168gr mk at 2850fps. At 700yds, he is cratering our steel gongs. You will be going 2 to 400fps faster. If you connect, you are going to be very impressed with the effect on game. Also, don't expect to recover too many bullets on broadside hits.

Since you mentioned you are new at this game, I will throw in a mention on proper load development and practise. You have to shoot at extended ranges (the furthest range you want to hunt at) to see how your load will shoot. 100yd groups just doesn't cut it. You also need to do a lot of practising in order to learn how to shoot at long range. You must shoot from field positions and varied weather to learn the drop and windage of your combo. A rangefinder, drop table and proper optics are also a must. Review past articles for more detailed info.

Good luck on this journey. It has been wonderful for me and this board will give you the support you need to make it all happen.

Jerry
Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Personally, I like Retumbo or 5010 powders & Cauterucio 156 or 176 grain VLDs. The bullets are long, accurate, & heavy jacketed. At 1,000 yards, they'll make a steel gong do backflips. At 600, they'll dimple one made of T1 steel!

If you're barrel has a slower twist than a 1:9", you'd be better off with a 156. If a JLK will shoot for you, they'd be acceptable too. Best of luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Have used Sierra Match Kings of different weights and diameters for MANY years in my Longrange guns.
On PA deer and bear, West Virginia deer, Colorado deer, elk and bear and none of them ever had enough strength to complain as they were very dead.
MKs work for me. I like the biggest weight and highest BC per caliber they make.

DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Writers Guild

Mountaineer, remember that to 90% of the hunting population, LR starts on the far side of 250yds and the near side of 400yds. Some of the rifle on this board can't adjust for that close. When we talk of LR we are talking a long ways out.

The key here is impact vel. Premium hunting bullets are designed for very high impact vel (2500fps and higher), softpoints 2000 to 2800fps, match like Amax and Sierra (1500 to 2500fps). As long as the bullets are kept in the design range, they work very well. When driven faster or slower, poor results occur.

We use "match" bullets because at LR our impact vel are comparatively low. Bullets will not blow up when impact vels drop under 2500fps, even when striking bone. Most of the time the impact vels are in the teens so reg. hunting bullets could be a liability as they probably will not expand.

Bullet engineers simply do not plan for impact vel just above the speed of sound. Why bother for the few guys that hunt with 45-70's?

Anyways, my testing with Amax have shown that they are still a very tough bullet. At 70yds and an impact vel just under 3100fps, the 30 cal 168gr Amax went through two water filled milk jugs and split the third. A Nosler BT went through all three. So much for "soft" bullets.

Out of a 308, a 155gr Amax at 2850fps muzzle vel went clean through a 5/16" mild steel gong at 385yds. That should break the skin on most NA deer, I think.

Remember that fragile bullets are a relative thing. Slow any bullet down, to a point, and it will go cleanly through any animal with good expansion.

For your RUM, the 162SST and 168gr MK would get my nod. Launch them 3000 to 3200fps, or whatever will give you the necessary accuracy and if you hit something properly, it will go down. You will be very impressed with the expansion/penetration at long range.

Good luck...

Jerry