Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range Computer Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Long Range Computer Games

I'm a 3D Artist/Modeler for the game industries. It would be nice to develop Long Range Computer Game so we can improve our skills with the elevation and the windage, including the temperature, barometer, wind and so on... I just thought it would be fun shooting LR game during the winter time.
I happened to explore and found the website where you can play with the elevation and windage but it is very simple game. I've seen another game for snipers using Mil-Dot to measure the distance. Are there more games like that?
http://users.rcn.com/rvdi/vbr/benchrest2.html

-Denny
300 Tomahawkallthewaay
Old 03-30-2002, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Computer Games

Is this the other one you were talking about?
http://www.shooterready.com/

Monte
Old 03-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Monte

Yes, that is the one I'm talking about.
longrangehunter
That would be awesome if you set up your own rifle equipment and know your rifle well.

-Denny
Old 03-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Fellows

There's no substatute for actual fire practice in different weather temperatures, at various elevation degrees and at different yardages with YOUR own rifle.

Just stay with your one favorite load and practice every chance you get.

Oh yes, several computer drop charts for the elevation and temp. changes will be needed also.

Be sure and have your spotter with you too.

Later
Darryl
Old 03-30-2002, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Darryl we know that.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Instead of a game how about a program for field use with all the features everybody wants, but no program seems to provide. It would be great to have a program that combines the specifications of my rifle, real world performance data from my rifle, and weather data in the algorithms to come up with it's estimations. Of course, the output should be simple like hold-over and come-ups. That should keep you busy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Hello

There was only one reason I mentioned the "actual fire" as the most important segment of knowing the charteristics of your load and in your rifle.

I have NEVER seen a program (for the sportsman) yet, that will accuratly (100%) give ALL information needed to place the bullet from point A to point B.

I think it's because we are not in a controlled situation where everything can be programed for each one of us, our rifles, on THAT day, and account for ALL conditions.

Warren has come close but, even he will admit, changes occur before the trigger is pulled in many cases. I think he is working on a very comprehensive program now for the sportsman? We shall wait and see what he comes up with.

Darryl