Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

long range caliber question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 PM

long range caliber question

I realize that everything in long range shooting is important.The set up, shooter,conditions,and equipment modifications.But all extra long range knowledge aside. I would like to know what the most accurate long range calliber is(in popular calibers)like .308,300 win mag,7mm mag?whith what caliber will I most accurately hold the tightest groups at the longest ranges?I know military guys all say the .308 but it drops quite a bit,and the 300.shoots flatter but is it as accurate between 500-1000 yards,and the 7 mag is favored by alot of hunters but the wind drift is supposedly greater.(and I would rather adjust up and down than left & right) Though I ralize adjustments will have to be made no matter what! I would like a flatter trajectory but the main question is what is going to be the most accurate caliber at the longest range?Like I said providing that the set up's(custom) and the shooter(professional) are the same.The 308,300 win mag,7mm mag,or is there a more accurate one that is a popular round,(without getting into ackly's and wildcats and other custom cartridges)Anyway someone please help me out here
thank's
Widowmaker
Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: long range caliber question

Ask Shawn or Kirby about the .338's.There are so many calibers that will shoot long range really well check the benchrest winners and ask around. I don't think is is so much the caliber as how well the rifle is assembled, quality craftsmanship will make most calibers work!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Widowmaker,

First off welcome to LRH!!

Judging true extreme range accuracy is a very difficult thing to do in actual field shooting tests. The killer for anyone is wind drift. In my opinion, a high B.C. bullet that will cut down wind drift or should I say reduce the error in our prediction of wind drift that are the most valuable aspect to the extreme range shooter, paper puncher or hunter.

While we all want the flattest trajectory possible, there is not a cartridge on the planet that can be classified as "flat shooting" past the 1/8 mile mark. They all drop. Some of the larger magnums drop alot and the standard rounds drop alot more!

The good news is that bullet drop is relatively easy to predict and much more consistant compared to wind drift.

Personally, I like to drive as high a B.C. as I can as fast as I accurately can. Hence the invention of my Allen Magnums. Only a crazy man would put a 100 gr capacity under a 156 gr ULD 257 bullet!!!

So to pick one round as being "more accurate" then another at long range would be difficult to declare. In perfect conditions in quality rifles, all will shoot very well. It is in poor shooting conditions where certain bullets prove their worth over others.

It is my opinion that we as extreme range shooters pick a bullet that we shoot at these ranges. The bullet itself if far more critical to extreme range accuracy then the actual case is as long as all things in rifle quality are equal.

Now that I have said alot and probably not answered your question at all, Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM

can o worms anyone.....LOL.. welcome....

most accurate is not easily defined by caliber.. more often than not it is defined by the rifle or theone who built it and the materials used to build it....

you can have a 30 cal that out shoots a 338 cal.... or a .284 cal that can't hit an automobile a 50 yards...

that being said... if you are new to this... I feel the .30 cal is the "easiest" way into the LR thing.. numerous bullet options avail...

to satrt out the 300WSM or the 300WM are very versitle and can reach a long way....
start with the 180 class bullets up to 220...
Old 03-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Thank's for responding!I plan on having a custom gun built or a stock gun modified soon! so I can start shooting this spring!What caliber do you suggest starting out!(don't own anything larger than 223)A guy said maybe 338 , another said maybe 300 win mag or wsm,and I hear alot of 308 talk wich is a good caliber to find info such as wind drift and ballistics for! So witch do you most strongly reccomend as a starter gun into big calibers!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

I think you might want to look at the 6.5/.284 also. This ctg. has proven itself well, great bullets are available for this caliber, great brass also. A lot of knowledge is out there about this ctg. and loading. Not to hard to find a buy on a good used rifle either. A used rifle is a good way to go for a first time at a new game. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 02:47 PM

if you are new at this.. the 308 is great learning tool... easy on the walet and really really great to learn wind and dope on....