Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long range budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long range budget build

I am going to eventually start reloading it's just everytime I get the money to buy my press and powder ect. I find a great deal on something else like the vortex viper I'm going to put on this rifle. I am slowly putting together a reloading setup bits and pieces at a time. Plus with this cheap ammo I can shoot it and still keep the brass.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud by design View Post
Ballistically the 30-06 is a much superior load compared to the 223 for what I'm trying to do. My issue with it is it's to expensive to shoot as much as I want/need to to really improve my skill. The 223 will be a range riffle 98% of the time unless a coyote or something else fairly small needs to be taken care of. Also as you had said the wind will affect the 223 more, I do realize that but here's my idea, at first it will be a bit harder to shoot accurately but I'm thinking that I will just have to learn to read the wind better so in the long run it will make me a better hunter/shooter. Hopefully
There is no question that the 223 should help ones shooting because of the amount of ammo
and the price of available ammo.

I noticed that you intend to start reloading. this will make the larger caliber rounds very reasonable
and the cost will not be much more than reloading the 223.

I had the urge to own a 223, and the fact that I reload I decided to build a 223 AI that would shoot
factory ammo accurately while fire forming and when loaded to 223 AI specs. It would gain 150 to
200 ft/sec more with the heaver bullets.

The 223 AI has done everything better than I expected and accuracy is outstanding during the
fire form stage, and with good reloads it is a consistant 1/4 MOA rifle.

Just something to think about if you are going to start reloading.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

I thought about going the ai route but the only problem is I am no expert in reloading and also I don't know of any competent gunsmiths in the area. Plus I was worried about forming the cases for it. Witht the .223 I should be looking at right around 27 cents a round using hornady 53 gr Amax I believe where as reloading for my 338 win mag will be right around 58 cents per round. At that point there's not nearly as huge of a price difference as buying factory ammo but it's still roughly twice the cost. Also the 223 has the added benefit of 1/10th the recoil. The ai has intrigued me though and is not entirely out of the question
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud by design View Post
I thought about going the ai route but the only problem is I am no expert in reloading and also I don't know of any competent gunsmiths in the area. Plus I was worried about forming the cases for it. Witht the .223 I should be looking at right around 27 cents a round using hornady 53 gr Amax I believe where as reloading for my 338 win mag will be right around 58 cents per round. At that point there's not nearly as huge of a price difference as buying factory ammo but it's still roughly twice the cost. Also the 223 has the added benefit of 1/10th the recoil. The ai has intrigued me though and is not entirely out of the question

The reason I mentioned it was that you said you were getting into reloading,and it sounded
like you realy wanted to stay with the 223.

The 223 is the round that I recomend for shooting at the range because of the cost of factory
ammo.

If the chamber is cut correctly, factory ammo can be used for hunting and the brass can be
fire formed at the same time for loading the AI.

I build a lot of 280 AI Remington's for hunters and a match rifle for F class with the same
chamber so the guys can hunt with a hunting weight rifle with factory ammo and load the
fire formed brass for the match rifle.

The AI version is very close to a 7mmRM in performance and the plane version 280 rem
is a great hunting round.

The 223 and the 223 AI have about the same relationship.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

How does your model 700 feed. I had a VTR in 223 that jammed 1 in 4 or 5 times
I wasn't happy with the X mark trigger. But I liked the rifle. Hated the jamming.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Bronze Member

I've put 240 rounds down the tube now and not a single jam. I have heard of people having the same problem as you though. You may have already tried but I always make sure I push the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine. Also some people have said to stretch the magazine spring one way or another may help to keep the rounds straighter in the magazine instead of being crooked and binding. Another is that some people said the tension on the rear of the receiver can have something to do with it. Only other thing I could think to try would be some good dry lube because that really helped me out on my sks.

As far as the trigger mines set right at 3 lbs from the factory. I would like to adjust it down a little if I could but I don't have a torque wrench in inch lbs and don't want to pull the rifle out of the stock without one. Also mine is the X mark not X mark pro so it doesn't have the Allen key on the trigger itself. No creep and it's pretty smooth. The only rifle with a better trigger I have shot has been on my uncles rifle which I believe was a huber trigger set real light. Though my experience (besides his rifle) is pretty limited to other factory rifles like my browning bars and and a few savage rifles without the accutrigger.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Good deal. I like Remington rifles but, I like Rugers and CZs better. If Rem. Would make the VTR in 260 I would get one. I like the odd triangle barrel and cut muzzle brake ..

Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 11-04-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling