Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range for begginers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range for begginers

one thing i would think about investing in is a good chronograph.ballistic software and weather stations are nice but they are useless if you don't have an accurate muzle velocity to input into the calculator.but one thing you need to do is back up your ballistic data with actual feild data.in other words if the calculator says your load will have a 24 moa drop at 1000 yards you need to actually shoot it at that distance with 24 moa come up.then you can adjust from there.most ballistic calculator if given accurate data will get you close but you need to check and adjust to actual feild info.the g7 ballistic calculator availible on this site actually has a trajectory validation program just for that.also,keep good records.a data book will help.lastly,it dosn't matter what caliber you decide to shoot as long as your shooting
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

First off welcome to LHR, you will find every thing you need right here.

Let me ask some questions:

First off where do you call home?

Do you have enough room to really shoot that 338 Lm to its capable ranges?

Are you after game or targets?

As already stated, consider getting a smaller caliber to practice with, say a 223 or 243. They are MUCH cheeper to shoot and are still capable to make those long shots. It will also help keep your fundimentals sharp. You cant be fliching on a target at 1200 yds and expect to hit it.
Then when the moment counts you have the 338 LM to make the shot with.

Not to metion a 243 does alot less fur damage then the 338 LM on coyotes.

As for equipment a kestral 3500 it is very easy to read and use.

I have the Ballistic fte, ballistic computer for my Ipod give it a look if you are not happy with yours. From what I have heard Both are very accurate.

Also as bogger01 stated a chrono is a must.

A rifle data log book is another thing, to keep track of shooting conditions bullet loads and speeds and, ranges and MOA adjustments. It will help you fine tune your ballistic calculator.

Good luck and keep us posted to your progress.

Last edited by ShooterMedic; 04-24-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

There's nothing wrong with choosing a big gun if energy or ELR is your objective. But, don't let it hinder your practice. Likewise, you will start accumulating gadgets once you get hooked. Many of us here have multipe rifles for that reason. Even a 22LR can be excellent for honing skills. ...and, economical to shoot.

Whatever you decide, have fun and be safe.
Richard
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Hey guys... thanks for all of the feedback and questions to help better focus my questions to get the help I'm needing.

I call NW Indiana my home for the last 10yrs... I am originally from Chicago. I served 8yrs in the US Marine Corps and that is where I received my firearms training. Now I am not a Marine Sniper, but I am familiar with and own a variety of rifles and handguns.

Recently I got a hair to try long range shooting and have been buying gear ever since. I bought, with long range in mind, a DPMS Panther .308/7.62 NATO mounted with a TRijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50 with mil-dot recticle, and the Savage Arms 110ba in .338 Lapua mounted with a Leupold Tactical 6.5-20x50 with a mil-dot recticle.

My questions are:

1) Will the scopes I invested in provide adequate range out to 1000 yards? Is there another recommendation that will do better?

2) I am interested in reloading... but there is so much information out there I am not sure what is best or adequate for me, a beginner, to invest in. Any suggestions on reloading equipment? Best place to purchase the equipment and what equipment would be needed?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on... I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

I almost forgot... the longest range I have found near me is 220 yards... not near enough to stretch the legs of either of my rifles. Anyone out there have any suggestions where I might look to find a place to extend my range?

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Long Range for begginers-iphone-060.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Well now that is a horse of a different color!

It looks like you should be ok as for optics. As you start to extend your range you might need some thing with more adjustment.

You still will what to invest in a chrono.

As for reloading just do a forum search on the topic you would like information on.

Good luck and again welcome.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Bronze Member

Thats a mean looking rifle. You mentioned something about a budget but, your gonna dive off into the hobby off long range shooting by way of a 338 Lapua. You got a big budget and some big marbles or have just completely did yourself an injustice starting out. I like guts! Good luck and don't put to much torque on that rifle when you start airing them out.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM

What do you mean by a Chrono? I have a range finder good out to 100 yards.

And thanks for the feedback...