Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Range for begginers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM

Long Range for begginers

Hey, I recently started to get interested in long-range shooting, I haven't been much of a rifle shooter/hunter (the occasional coyote hunt or deer hunt) and have really always been a shotgun guy from growing up to now. I would really appreciate if you guys could give me a kind of a list for it. I am planning on buying a FNH/Uniqe Alpine Ballista Bolt-action in 338. lapua. I have read all about range cards and hand held computers and ballistics software but I have decided to take a more budgeted approach. I own an Iphone and found a "app" That is called "Bullet Flight" and purchased it. The version I purchased is the "Millitary Grade" version and works in the same manner a range card or expensive ballistics software would. You simpily enter all of your details (Ammo, Range, Weather, etc.) and it gives you a solution on to what adjustments you need to input into your scope adjustments. Anyways I plan on using that and a handheld meteorology station to get by as a beginner, any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range for begginers

Welcome to LRH. You go big or go home don't you! Well there are some options. You'll want a laser range finder. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Lecia are the best for budget buys... Zeiss leading in the price catagory and the Lecia 1600 is really right up there with the Swaro now. The new kid on the block is the G7 LRF, but it is $12-1500 making it the most expesive. The nice thing about that one is that it will calculate your distance on an incline. You can also put in your load data and will adjust the drops accordingly. It also reads baro, temp, and I believe humidity, but don't hold me to that. If you have the money for the G7 start there, but for the best bang for the buck, right now it would have to be the Lecia 1600 (they have a 1600B that adjust for angle now for the same price, so you may want to look for one of those). Get a good base and rings. You will also want a high power variable scope for the Lapua. It can shoot a longs ways accurately. I would suggest no less than 15-20 power scope. Vortex, Sightron SIII, Leupold VXIII, Night Force are all the good ones. There are a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment. For a hand held weather station, I want the Kestrel 3500 or 4500. They are pricey, but worth it in my opinion. It's an unwritten rule here, make sure you post a pic of the finished project. Some budget scopes would be the SWFA SS scope, Nikon Buckmaster, and Millet LRS. Weaver also makes some very nice scopes too, especially the tactical models.

Good Shoot'in,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

One other thing, you'll want to invest in some reloading equipment. 338 Lapua ammo can be rather spendy if you have to buy factory fodder. Hand loads are the way to go.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Amen on that Tank. Reload as much as you can. Not only will you have the satisfaction of a job well done, you can design a load specifically to your rifle, and save some cash at the same time.

With a large rifle cart like the Lapua, make sure you get a press that can handle it. RCBS is one I have used for years and love. I have used a classic Lee before and ended up breaking the handle off. The reason it broke was because I was trying to reload too big of brass in that particular model, not because the press malfunctioned.

However, for 100 brass for the 338 Lapua you looking at $250. That is why I stuck with the RUM. A little easier on the pocket book and I can shoot them as much as I want without feeling the pinch.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleDropper99 View Post
Hey, I recently started to get interested in long-range shooting, I haven't been much of a rifle shooter/hunter (the occasional coyote hunt or deer hunt) and have really always been a shotgun guy from growing up to now. I would really appreciate if you guys could give me a kind of a list for it. I am planning on buying a FNH/Uniqe Alpine Ballista Bolt-action in 338. lapua. I have read all about range cards and hand held computers and ballistics software but I have decided to take a more budgeted approach. I own an Iphone and found a "app" That is called "Bullet Flight" and purchased it. The version I purchased is the "Millitary Grade" version and works in the same manner a range card or expensive ballistics software would. You simpily enter all of your details (Ammo, Range, Weather, etc.) and it gives you a solution on to what adjustments you need to input into your scope adjustments. Anyways I plan on using that and a handheld meteorology station to get by as a beginner, any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated!

You're worried about the cost of ballistics software. Yet, your sights are set on a cartridge that will blow gapping holes in your bank account?

The 338's don't really shine until you get way out there.. 1200, 1500+ yds. ...or, bigger game at long distances.

So unless you really need the 338LM, go for something cost effective, fun, and accurate in the 6, 6.5, or 7mm families.

6br is fun, accurate, and economical.

260 Rem is versatile for targets, deer, etc.

If you don't handload, then 308 Win is hard to beat for match grade factory ammo.

There are lots of great choices.

Best of luck!
-- richard
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm also new to long range shooting, and I already own a Savage Arms 110ba (.338 Lapua)! I wasn't sure what scope to buy, and I was on a budget, so I settled for a Leupold Mark IV 6.5x20x50. I love the gun, and the Leupold has a great field of view with a very clear picture... but I thought I would ask some experts what they think?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjn55 View Post
I'm also new to long range shooting, and I already own a Savage Arms 110ba (.338 Lapua)! I wasn't sure what scope to buy, and I was on a budget, so I settled for a Leupold Mark IV 6.5x20x50. I love the gun, and the Leupold has a great field of view with a very clear picture... but I thought I would ask some experts what they think?
What they think about what exactly?