Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Long Action vs. short Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Action vs. short Action

My current stick I'm beginning with is a lefty Remington 40x single shot short action in 280 Rem. This is of course a '06 length round, but no mag as it's single shot. Big heavy 27" stainless barrel with alittle taper.

Did they make this sucker up wrong, or is it alright being a single shot? These are Remington factory rifles, but they aren't cheap to purchase. I bought mine in like new condition for around $1200 USD and feel that's not too bad.

Just like to know if the short action is wrong for the 280?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Meichele, those coues deer must have their winter coats on up there in Alaska! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Well the sitka bucks are in dire straights with all of this years snow, but the coues deer I just got done hunting in central Arizona shure looked like they were livin large. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I dont know for a fact if the 40x is available in a short action with a 280 chambering.

What I do know is that when you enter the realm of single shots, the rules change. This is because there are no feeding issues. Some single shot actions have no opening at the bottom which makes them stiffer. Then add more stock material under the action and it is stiffer yet. Make it a short action and you have one stiff rig. It is possible to use a short action with a 280 case. Obviously, it would be used as a single shot whether it was a true single shot or not.

Clear as mud right?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

This reciever is short action. No magazine, solid bottom reciever and solid stock, in 280 rem. Of course I feed one at a time, but seems odd that Remington would make something like this. Never seen one similar to the one I own.

Quite certain it's a real single shot as the reciever is solid and no milling-cut has been performed under the bolt. Stange weapon for a newbie like myself.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

How does it shoot?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Good question.

Last week I took it out to our new county range and mounted the super sniper 10x a friend gave me. Once sighted I shot a group of 3 shots at 100yds because it was so bloody cold out. Only three shots, and minimal wind, but you could cover the holes with a .375 dia bullet. In fact one went right thru the first initial hole. Hornady 139 sst.

I went hunting with a friend in Montana, and he was using it to take deer at the 600+ yd mark. He gave me the scope for the use of the rifle.

I've never owned a rifle set up like this, and will be taking a class by Shawn Carlock in may, learning how to use at long ranges.

When the weather gets better I'll be taking it out again and plan to go to 500 yd mark this time. This stick really has me wanting to shoot, and I love the very little recoil it produces. Makes shooting enjoyable.