Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Load or leave empty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Load or leave empty?

For hunting, I load up enough rounds that I believe will last me through the season. For competition, I load up enough go last me through a match plus practice, or series if the maches are close together in time. I do however try to have enough components of the same lot to last the life of the barrel with my go to rifles. I rarely have more than 100-150 loaded rounds made for rifle shooting in either case. For pistol and shotgun target shooting it's a different story because of volume of shooting, usually 500 round batches.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

The bedside boomer is always loaded and half safety (1911).

One thing to keep in mind with a magazine is, a fully loaded mag has it's follower spring in full compression. Springs prefer to be in the relaxed (extended position) over time. Compressed springs tend to loose extension length and tension.

Far as loaded ammunition, I keep mine in Military surplus sealed, airtight boxes. I've ignited 40 year old ammo that functions just fine.

I guess how many you have loaded depends entirely on planned use and level of paranoia.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

doubled post...kinda....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

I load them up. If I am done playing around and have found that perfect load I go into mass production mode but I do not waist ammo experimenting with every new component that comes along, once I find something that does what I want, I tend to stick with it. I do leave a small amount of new brass (usually a 100pc) in reserve for every rifle just in case. As far as magazines go.........They are loaded. 7 in 8rd, 9 in 10rnd, 18 in 20rnd, 25 in 30rnd, 35 in 40rnd and of course 100 in 100. Paranoid? Yes. Not ready on a moments notice? NO. They don't call ya a minute man if it takes ya two hours to get ready.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Thanx for the replies. I was referring to loading ammo, not clips just to clarify. I think since I have a little extra time in winter i will load up most of my brass.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I've got over 5K loaded for my rifles at present, I just try to shoot 'em out every few years. Some of my stuff has been loaded 8 to 10 years and groups just fine. I have seen the welding thing a bit, but it seems to be brass with a few firings on it that'll do it. New or nearly new brass, not so much. I've also had a few try do do that with older powder that eventually went bad. The powder was oxidizing and tarnishing both the brass and the bullets.