Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Load or leave empty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Load or leave empty?

Just wondering what your thoughts are in whether to load up all the loads I can and leave them sit loaded until I get around to shooting them or should I leave my powder, primers, bullets, etc sit until I can shoot them right away? If its ok to loAd and sit a while should I seal the primers?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load or leave empty?

Really depends on you. I like to work up loads and experiment with different bullets and powder so I don't load a whole bunch at one time. I have in storage a good supply of components. If kept dry powder primers and such will last a long long time and so will loaded shells. If the primer pocket is good I see no reason to seal it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Thanx. I have all my loads worked up. I had stocked up on my supplies and was wondering if I should load them all up or leave in containers/packages until need to load to shoot?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

The best shooting rounds I ever put through my 50BMG where 1945 DM AP, So I'm confident tht factory reloads will last a while......Sealing is up to you but I would protect it from moisture within reason.
Haveing said that I have quit reloading ammo any farther ahead than I have to for a couple of reasons
#1 For whatever reason the bullet seams to weld for lack of a better term to the case, usually not enough to raise presure all that much but enough to mess with the groups. The problem I've run into is that it is not consistant batch to batch some will weld more or less than others??? One way around this problem has been to load them a little long and then put them through the seater to shorten right before I want to use them.
#2 It ties up powder and/or bullets I may want for something else.
#3 The gun gets traded or rebarreled and I got a lot of ammo with not home.
#4 I HATE pulling loads back part.....almost as much as shooting reloads that are not grouping the best that they could be.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

I like having lots of ammunition available. Having empty brass for new or experimental load data is a boon too. I can't have too many hunting or defense rounds, but target loads usually get fired right away and are hard to keep much of a supply. I might hear of some new data to try,so at least primed brass is handy to have available.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Thanx guys. I never heard of welding before, but it does make sense. From what I know, any time you have two dissimilar metals you can have fusion/corrosion/welding occur. I'm not sure if copper and brass are considered dissimilar or not, but that is something to think about.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
The best shooting rounds I ever put through my 50BMG where 1945 DM AP, So I'm confident tht factory reloads will last a while......Sealing is up to you but I would protect it from moisture within reason.
Haveing said that I have quit reloading ammo any farther ahead than I have to for a couple of reasons
#1 For whatever reason the bullet seams to weld for lack of a better term to the case, usually not enough to raise presure all that much but enough to mess with the groups. The problem I've run into is that it is not consistant batch to batch some will weld more or less than others??? One way around this problem has been to load them a little long and then put them through the seater to shorten right before I want to use them.
#2 It ties up powder and/or bullets I may want for something else.
#3 The gun gets traded or rebarreled and I got a lot of ammo with not home.
#4 I HATE pulling loads back part.....almost as much as shooting reloads that are not grouping the best that they could be.
That is a very interesting point you bring up. There is probably over time a chemical reaction between the brass and the copper. I don't know just guessing. Would not make a difference for self defense loads but could for the long range stuff.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein