Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Limbsaver recoil pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Limbsaver recoil pads

Have any of you ever had this problem with your Limb saver recoil pads? I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on my wife’s Browning A-bolt 243 about 5 years ago. This past fall when I went to get it out of the gun safe I noticed that the recoil pad was becoming tacky (sticky to the touch). I tried cleaning it off with soap and water but that did not seem to help any. It is now sticky enough that the extra peace of carpet that I have in the bottom of my gun case comes out with the rifle. I plan on replacing it with another recoil pad but am not sure if I want to go with a Limbsaver. Any thoughts on what may have caused the pad to become sticky?

400bull

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Limbsaver recoil pads

Call limbsaver, they are very good to deal with.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Bronze Member

I have sent them two emails aready this week with out a reply back. I'll try giving them a call to see if I can get any answers that way.

400bull
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Bronze Member

try wiping it down with some type of penatrating oil such as kroil oil. i have installed several of these pads but i have not had this problem. i find that kroil oil removes all types of glue and sticky stuff. i use it to remove sharpe marks and old loading lables from my ammo boxes. i also use Armor all on all my recoil pads, i think it keeps them soft and does not let them dry out. this is just my thought on things. Bear.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like it has come in contact with some form of alcohol. My wife's steering wheel (Jeep) is doing the same thing and she uses that hand sanitizer all the time. Feels guey and sticky. JohnnyK.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

I bought a remington 700 300 ultra mag that had a limbsaver on it from the factory. I called limbsaver and they told me that a batch of the rubber material was mixed wrong and caused the sticky melting look. They sent me a new one no questions asked. Very good customer service. I would just google them and get a number to give em a call.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bull View Post
Have any of you ever had this problem with your Limb saver recoil pads? I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on my wife’s Browning A-bolt 243 about 5 years ago. This past fall when I went to get it out of the gun safe I noticed that the recoil pad was becoming tacky (sticky to the touch). I tried cleaning it off with soap and water but that did not seem to help any. It is now sticky enough that the extra peace of carpet that I have in the bottom of my gun case comes out with the rifle. I plan on replacing it with another recoil pad but am not sure if I want to go with a Limbsaver. Any thoughts on what may have caused the pad to become sticky?

400bull

They are jell filed and if the pad was ground at all to fit it could be leaking .

When fitting a Limbsaver recoil pad to a stock you have to get one that fits perfectly to avoid grinding.

I use the pachmayr Decelerator because it can be ground to fit and is a realy good pad. Also
it comes in 1" or 1/2" thicknesses.

J E CUSTOM