Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

which leupold scope?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 5
which leupold scope?

I recentally had a custom 260 Rem built on my old 700ADL action. Fully blue printed with a 25" #4 Shilen SS Select Match, 1-8" twist barrel screwed on. Neil Jones did a rework on my trigger and set it at just over 2 lbs. (Mr. Jones does VERY nice work at a reasonable price) Everything bedded in a B&C Medalist stock. I want to use it for 500-600 yard coyotes, deer and pronghorns. i own two leupold VXIII's 30mm side focus scopes. One is a 4.5-14 x 40 and the other is a 6.5-20 x 40. I want to use Leupold's custom turret system. Which would be considered a more all around scope? Also, both scopes have the varmint reticle, good or bad? Can the custom turrets be easily moved from one scope to another? Would I go with the custom elevation turrets only or do I need custom windage turrets too? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,776
Re: which leupold scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbrooks View Post
I recentally had a custom 260 Rem built on my old 700ADL action. Fully blue printed with a 25" #4 Shilen SS Select Match, 1-8" twist barrel screwed on. Neil Jones did a rework on my trigger and set it at just over 2 lbs. (Mr. Jones does VERY nice work at a reasonable price) Everything bedded in a B&C Medalist stock. I want to use it for 500-600 yard coyotes, deer and pronghorns. i own two leupold VXIII's 30mm side focus scopes. One is a 4.5-14 x 40 and the other is a 6.5-20 x 40. I want to use Leupold's custom turret system. Which would be considered a more all around scope? Also, both scopes have the varmint reticle, good or bad? Can the custom turrets be easily moved from one scope to another? Would I go with the custom elevation turrets only or do I need custom windage turrets too? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
Both are good quality scopes but if it were me I'd sell one of them and move up to the 6-20x50. The extra time the 50mm obj gives you early and late can really make the difference especially on a cloudy day where light is slow coming in the morning and lost rapidly in the evening.

Custom elevation turrets work very well as long as you don't change loads or change elevation by more than about 3,000ft.

I see no utility in a custom windage turret as long as you have MOA turrets to begin with.

Just dial up the appropriate MOA for the range and wind as your ballistic calculator or range card dictates and let'r rip.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Re: which leupold scope?

Are those scopes bottlecap models? You can put a stoney point 1/4 moa knob on it midway part#899-510 or send it(6.5-20) to Leupold and have a target turret installed and a custom dial to match your load,I think mine cost me $140.00. Hope this helps. Dave
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 592
Re: which leupold scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewitt View Post
You can put a stoney point 1/4 moa knob on it midway part#899-510 ... Hope this helps. Dave
I installed these exact stoney point 1/4 moa knobs onto my leupold 6.5-20 that I have on top of my 22-250.

They do have a tiny bit of backlash due to way the stoney point turret contacts the coin slot of the scope... there has to be some clearance to allow the spindle to engage inside of the slot... so I placed a very small dab of epoxy to the spindle where it contacts the coin-slot of the scope dial. Now it works perfect, zero backlash. Overall I am happy with them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond Or.
Posts: 2,527
Re: which leupold scope?

4.5-14. You live in Auburn Wa. So let's say for one reason or another you can't make it to the good side to hunt, & you have to go near where you live..... Clearcuts are about the only place where you can even come close to taking advantage of 4.5-14 let alone a 6-20 power. Warehauser, or Plumcreek, is your only shot.

I live, & hunt in central, & eastern Oregon, & also hunt Idaho. I'm in everything from timber to sagebrush on a daily basis, & I personally wouldn't put a scope on a hunting rifle that started any higher than 4.5.
The 6 power & up, is just way too much for brush or dark timber imo.
Now if it was strictly a dedicated LR ONLY rifle, or comp rifle then ya use the bigger one. But for coyotes & deer out to only 5-600 4.5-14 all the way.

I own two VX-III, 4.5-14x40 A/O's (1 Tactical pre mark 4, & one regular), & one VX-III, 3.5-10. The 14's both have varmint hunter duplex, & the tac has turrets as well, & the 10 has the B&C.
I also have a Burris 4.5-14x42 A/O, B-Plex.
I have yet to use a 6-20 power on anything for hunting. There nice for really stretching it out there, but not nesicary or practical for even my LR rifles for my style of hunting. May e your style is different. I dunno.
I lived in Enumclaw, for a while, & hated it, cause there's just no room to do anything, let alone shoot LR. The ravensdale gunclub is a joke, & you can't shoot at mud mountain dam anymore. Wheeler sold thier gravel pit out by Black Diamond, Greenwater is too thick with brush etc. Pierce county isn't any better. Where do you go to practice?
__________________
"Its not Rocket Surgery.....'
GOD,GUNS,&GUTTS MADE AMERICA, LETS KEEP ALL 3!winmag

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Re: which leupold scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbrooks View Post
I recentally had a custom 260 Rem built on my old 700ADL action. Fully blue printed with a 25" #4 Shilen SS Select Match, 1-8" twist barrel screwed on. Neil Jones did a rework on my trigger and set it at just over 2 lbs. (Mr. Jones does VERY nice work at a reasonable price) Everything bedded in a B&C Medalist stock. I want to use it for 500-600 yard coyotes, deer and pronghorns. i own two leupold VXIII's 30mm side focus scopes. One is a 4.5-14 x 40 and the other is a 6.5-20 x 40. I want to use Leupold's custom turret system. Which would be considered a more all around scope? Also, both scopes have the varmint reticle, good or bad? Can the custom turrets be easily moved from one scope to another? Would I go with the custom elevation turrets only or do I need custom windage turrets too? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
I like a higher power scope than some guys would use but i go by the mantra of, it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I use a 5.5 x 20 scope on my 280ai and some of my shots are around 100yds but if i hunt at work i can shoot 800 yds. And given that you'll be shooting yote at those distances, the 20x would be nice to have.

IMO, If you are going to you to use the turrets for elevation and windage, i wouldn't waste your money on those reticles unless it was mil-dot. Those reticles just generic markings and based off factory ammo and rifles.
__________________
A little bit of fire burns alot of wheat.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Re: which leupold scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
I installed these exact stoney point 1/4 moa knobs onto my leupold 6.5-20 that I have on top of my 22-250.

They do have a tiny bit of backlash due to way the stoney point turret contacts the coin slot of the scope... there has to be some clearance to allow the spindle to engage inside of the slot... so I placed a very small dab of epoxy to the spindle where it contacts the coin-slot of the scope dial. Now it works perfect, zero backlash. Overall I am happy with them.
You should post a how-to with pics, i'd like to see how you did it!
__________________
A little bit of fire burns alot of wheat.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: which leupold scope?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leupold VX-3 CDS Scope Vs. Quigley Ford Scope Review ADMIN Product Reviews - Discussion 18 10-17-2011 07:21 PM
Leupold scope FS 284 Win. Optics For Sale 6 08-01-2011 04:15 AM
FS - Leupold Mark 4 scope and Leupold Sequoia spotter bugle1up Optics For Sale 1 11-30-2010 02:44 PM
Leupold-VX-I-4x12x40-scope-&-Leupold-rings wildcat Guns For Sale 5 03-01-2007 08:39 PM
Help Locating Scope Leupold Scope Seller Dirtybob1 Guns For Sale 2 11-17-2005 10:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC