Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Leupold reticle options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Leupold reticle options

Trying to get ideas on what reticle to have installed in my scope, I have a leupold 3x9x50 w fairly heavy duplex. Last year I wanted to shoot a deer at 364yds, but when I got deer in scope the reticle covered the deer's entire shoulder (didnt take shot). I plan to send scope back leupold to have new reticles installed. My goal is to be able to be effective around 500 yd. Does anyone have a idea of what reticle I should have installed? I would also like to be fairly efficient in low light conditions.

Last edited by back wood; 05-15-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Leupold reticle options

Quote:
Originally Posted by back wood View Post
Trying to get ideas on what reticle to have installed in my scope, I have a leupold 3x9x50 w fairly heavy duplex. Last year I wanted to shoot a deer at 364yds, but when I got deer in scope the reticle covered the deer's entire shoulder (didnt take shot). I plan to send scope back leupold to have new reticles installed my maximum range I am comfortable with is 400yd. Does anyone have a idea of what reticle I should have installed? I would also like to be fairly efficient in low light conditions.
Welcome to LRH!
Does your scope have CDS or target turrets by any chance?
Chambering?
Check out the LR Duplex and the LRV Duplex for ballistic reticle that should work nicely with the distances you have in mind.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Welcome to LRH!
Does your scope have CDS or target turrets by any chance?
Chambering?
Check out the LR Duplex and the LRV Duplex for ballistic reticle that should work nicely with the distances you have in mind.
My scope does not have Cds or target turrets. My rifle is a Remington 700 bdl with 3lb 2oz trigger chambered in 30-06. May just need to look into buying new scope. 98% of my shots are from shooting tower w sand bags across commercial fields.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by back wood View Post
My scope does not have Cds or target turrets. My rifle is a Remington 700 bdl with 3lb 2oz trigger chambered in 30-06. May just need to look into buying new scope. 98% of my shots are from shooting tower w sand bags across commercial fields.
What is your budget?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Budget for scope no more than $500
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM

$5-800
Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 PM
SPONSOR

Do you want to stay with Leupold, or are their other brands you are interested in?