Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Lefty woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Lefty woes

Thanks for the site, this page has a real good learning curve for those new to LR.

I think I have settled on a Rem 700, probablly a varmit in .308 LH. I have been to the gun shops in my area and have been dismayed at the total lack of leftys on the shelf.
How long ago to Remington start making LH models? Are my chances next to nill finding a good used LH rifle?

Another question related, Being a saltwater fisherman it dawned on me that unlike firearms there are very few shops that sell used fishing gear.

That being said, what is proper when buying a used, or new rifle from a shop. Is the price the firearm marked at, the final price? Is it proper to try to talk a shop down on a used, or new rifle, or is this just not done? Pay the price on the tag, or just move on?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lefty woes

I've never seen a used short action LH Remington for sale in my area. Occasionally long action hunting rifles though but not with the heavy barrel of the VS. Most shops in my area only stock one or two left hand rifles and some not any.

I bought my 700 VS about 1.5 yrs. ago for $625 from a local dealer who ordered it in. I shopped around and this was the best I could do. You might want to check out a couple of the online sites such as Gunbrocker or Ebay for a better deal. You will have to have the gun shipped to an FFL in your area for final transfer. Some charge a nominal fee of 15-$25 to cover the transaction fee. As for price on a new or used gun you can always try to talk them down---the worst they can do is say no.

Remington started producing LH mdl 700 guns in the late 1960s I believe. This was a long action BDL. They followed with some LH 788 models, 870 and 1100 shotguns, and a LH pump rifle for a short time. The short action 700s haven't been out that many years. Remington and Savage have been the best in offering a variety of firearms to lefty's. Not as good as what the right-handers get but not bad.

Pat S.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

I feel your pain, bro.

I like Pat S. have liked the Rem. VSLH, and I bought mine off of gunbroker.com for $600.00 NIB.

This rifle is sub moa out of the box w/ a trigger adjustment, of course. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Get it in .308 and enjoy!!!..sakofan..
Old 11-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Greenhorn
I too am a lefty when it comes to rifles. I found a LH Weatherby (they discontinued them this year [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) last year and I like it for a walk around gun.

You may find that most long range shooting is done either from a bench or from the prone position. Either way it is actually easier to shoot a RH rifle leht handed because the loading is on the side you can see. Also you can keep the stock against your shoulder while reloading, just be sure to check your nose for bolt clearance first! Some RH shooters that have custom guns made get a LH bolt / LH port for this reason. When I someday get a custom made I want a RH action with a LH stock.

Just something you may want to think about before getting too discouraged with your selection of LH guns. By the way, I can only remember finding two LH used guns in the local shop and I bought one of them.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

I ma lefty

the ebst left hand rifle I have nver find is the Savage 110 ,low cost , strong and no need to search one ised you can purcahse it new

I have nver see any used REM LH , I own only two REM LH
1 short with 40 X repeater macmillan stock ,
1 long but that a BDM action

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 11-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Sponsor

Greenhorn,
I am left handed also. There is a limited amount of LH guns available out there. I agree with RBrowning, I feel that a right handed rifle is better for the LH shotter from the bench or prone. The reason Remington offers the 308 LH VS was initialy at the request of RH law enforcement riflemen. Give the RH gun some thought. The added bonus is of course that you might actually get a good deal on a used one.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

I read somewhere for safety reasons you should have the reciever opening away from your face. The same articals that urge shooting glasses in the case some kind of detonation.

Reguarding the Varmit guns for LR, are these guns too heavy to hunt with? I see the remington weighs 9lbs, I imagine a couple pounds of scope & rings, and four rounds, the rifle might be around 12 lbs, is this too much for a long walk?

The BDL's made in the 60's, would you rate the quality of those actions better than the new Remingtons?