Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Left handed help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Re: Left handed help

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I've been reading more on Savage, seeing a lot of good things about them. They seem to offer the most left-handed options. Also been studying Tikka T3 and the new T/C Dimension, both have flexibility for a lefty. Any thoughts on the later two?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a information sponge, just soaking it up...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member

No, I'm left eyed dominate. I look through the scope with my left eye and hold the rifle left handed. I just prefer a right handed bolt. Doesn't anyone else do this?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

I am right handed, left eye dominent. I shoot left handed rifle and shotgun but preferr pistol right handed. Now I'd say I'm a little strange lol.

I have both right and left handed bolt rifles... personally I would always go with a left handed bolt for any rifle I plan on haveing quick shots with (faster at running the bolt). As for a bench rifle.. not much difference. one think to keep in mind is that if your pushing the envelope, the left handed rifle will have the gas port on the right side-- pushing excess gass away from your face if there is a case failure.

There is some advantageto shooting bench w/ a right ported rifle for loading single shot.

As for tikka, they are excellent rifles out of the box, but harder to build on after the fact.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateisw View Post
No, I'm left eyed dominate. I look through the scope with my left eye and hold the rifle left handed. I just prefer a right handed bolt. Doesn't anyone else do this?
Used to when I was using my grandfather's rifles. Never went back after being able to afford my first left handed rifle.

It took some time to get used to not dropping the rifle to work the bolt.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateisw View Post
My wife is the same way. Right handed. Left eye dominate. Prefers to shoot left handed with a right hand rifle.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

I am left handed and left eye dominant. I started hunting using my older brother's right handed guns. Once I got my first left handed gun, I will never go back. Go with savage you won't be disappointed. I'm now the proud owner of five different savage rifles its nice to have a company cater to lefties.

p.s. the rifle in my signature is right handed savage 112BT but its the only right handed one i own.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

I am left handed too and have an ongoing love affair with my savage rifles. I love Remmys to but got tired of trying to find someone who could get one in that was left handed. As far as stocks go I have replaced the stock on two of my savages with the Choate tactical stock and like them very well for the money. There are also alot of options if you go with a custom stock but for under $200 i like the Choate.